New boots need some sort of care...but what?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Just got my new boots yesterday from brodequin shoemakers and im dead chuffed with them :) they are waxy leather and will need some care tae waterproof them, so i think i need some help. they reccommend dubbin or himalayan wax. iv read that dubbin rots leather so nae too keen tae use that. so is himalayan wax any good? iv found some in a spray on ebay was wondering if anyone has experience with it?

i have a bottle of neatsfoot oil here iv heard is good but also read that it attracts bugs tae munch on the leather so again unsure!

any help would be appreciated

some pics
imag0586x.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-03-02
imag0587p.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-03-02

once im able tae get out walking more ill be writing a review on these boots as i expect them tae go all round the uk and beyond with me so we shall see. so far the service provided has been great, they were able tae provide me with a good flat sole and even sent me a small samosa coin pouch as a gift for having trouble with buckle suppliers which resulted in me just asking for a plain buckle which suits me better than a big fancy job.

Hamish

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
They look really good, I look forward to a review. Do the makers have a website??

As for protection I can't be much help except to say that my Bison Bushcraft boots came untreated and I have simply used a bit of polish on them occasionally. They are not waterproof but, allied with wool socks, have withstood the winter weather with no problems. In fact I remember Roger advising not to wax for summer use as it reduces the breathability of the leather.

Dreadhead

cheers Tread. aye but i reckon the sooner i start some form of protection the longer they will last. i was thinking of getting the spray mainly tae spray around the edges of the sole where the leather is sewn down as thats where most problems occur with my boots.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'd avoid animal fats ( dubbin, neatsfoot, mink oil etc.) they will over soften the leather, darken it & encourage moulds & rot........I think wax would be better, I use snow seal which is just beeswax with a softner.....nikwax may be worth a try too though I have never used it ...there is also the Granger's range....waxes have the advantage of not altering the leather's fibrous structure..unlike the animal fats..

Have you asked the boot makers for advice. ?

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Cheers Black thats the sort of thing i was worried about. hmm i thought himilayan wax would be good as it says its mostly beeswax etc but it has been quoted as 'spray on dubbin' so im nae so sure. i got a note with the shoes and it says himalaya wax, dubbin, or shoe cream is okay tae use. thats it :S i think its because they are a waxy leather rather than smooth grained so im nae too sure..i do like the look of this nikwax though

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've been using nikwax for years - brilliant stuff, wouldn't use anything else on leather

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I really like the Nikwax Aqueous wax. I rate it higher than the normal Nikwax, it seems to last longer and it loves being applied to wet leather so you can keep them treated on a long wet trip.

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Dont mean to sound daft, but personally i would go for Lundhags boot wax, works superbly on all my leather boots, doesn't rot stitching, which i know some leather preperations can and seals the stiching holes. Waterproofs Lundhags like wellies so i dont see why i shouldn't work on yours bud.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
A vote for Ledergris from Altbergs. I have found that dubbins, and even Nikwax which I otherwise love, tend to rot stitching over time.

It would, of course, depend on whether you have natural or man-made fibre stitching - so ask the manufacturer for their reccomendation.

Dreadhead

cheers for all the reccommendations folks. in the end i emailed the manufacturers and they said the suede/nubuck nikwax range would work well so iv ordered some of that. they also emailed me some info on dubbin which was also helpful so far great service fae these people im chuffed. just tae make clear i have nae affiliation with them, just a happy customer

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
cheers for all the reccommendations folks. in the end i emailed the manufacturers and they said the suede/nubuck nikwax range would work well so iv ordered some of that. they also emailed me some info on dubbin which was also helpful so far great service fae these people im chuffed. just tae make clear i have nae affiliation with them, just a happy customer
Glad you have sorted it mate I did not no your boots were sued? Any way nikawax is great and is what I use in walking scrarpa gtx walking boots but Sasquatch made a lot of sense to me when sitting round the camp fire I said what do you use mate, and he said oil, as if you sit round a fire a lot, then they get very dry, and dryness means cracking and cracking is not good at all, and to keep leather in tip top condition you need to feed it.
take care.
lee.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE