New beach overnighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Pic's deleted due to site not being secure/leaving link on forum.John (minstrel) his mate Judi,and me went for a overnighter to a beach id found in January (a few other guy's from here could'nt attend) Id been to a farm and gained permission to park on the farm land as there is no otherway to get down to the beach, we headed down early Sat morning, once there we set up camp,

there are two of these old ruins which we found out later from the farmer where from the old days of Salmon fishing
this is ruin two,

John practised the bow drill for a time,and then went foraging,his lunch was winkle,limpet,and noodles, i stuck to M&S chicken and a brew!

Due to a tide times we could'nt do the exploring we'd planned till later, so we went back to the car and brought down some seasoned wood john had brought with him(it had rained for day's earlier so the drift wood was truely damp. i passed a bit of time walking round what i could then grabed 30 mins rest in my tent,

once the tide had gone back out,we headed south east down to part's of the beach that were a scramble,a squeeze,and a climb to get to,

above John just having climbed up,

Above John and Judi squeezed through this gap,me being bigger,and a bit claustrophobic,decided to go up and over!

as far as we got this day,there was loads more beaches to explore,but it was getting late,and a drinky,and fire beckoned,so we set off back, i went and had a lok in this cave on the way back, the bottles and rubbish are from the sea,and tides.

the weather stayed great until about 10.30pm then the rain came down, i managed to get a couple of hours round the fire,

then headed for bed.

the next day started out nice,i got up about 8 ish and took this of the sea

and this of looking back at camp from the south east,

After breaky we set off on the walk back to the the car and after a chat to the farmer John dropped me off and headed home,cheer's John/Judi had a great time looking forward to the next...

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I was gutted to miss this trip Andy.

My mate Tom pulled out on the Thursday with a lingering chest infection but I was still looking forward to it.

On the Friday night I got a phonecall from my laddie Andy, who's a DJ, needing a lift to a kara-oke at a Hen Night in Fauldhouse Miner's Club on the Saturday night. He was going to make just over a hundred quid for an hours work, so I couldn't let him miss out on that.

FF to tea time Saturday "Dad, bad news they've cancelled". Well that was both our weekends goosed.

On the Sunday we walked along the coast from South Queensferry to Abercorn Church, onto Blackness Castle and back via The Binns (Tam Dalziels estate) in a sort of circular route. It was a good day out and almost, almost made up for missing the bivvy and a bevvy down at yours.

That looks another great spot Andy, helluva slope though, how many times did you slip off your sleeping mat?

Liam

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Rich, not really just round the corner,about 5-mins by car,but worth it the farmer reckon's there's only 1 other couple go to it,Liam was gutted you could'nt make it,the slope aint as bad a Lumsdaine me and John did it twice the first day no prob's,and there is a longer flatter route via a long beach walk in.Then sleeping area may look like a slope but its flat and quite comfy.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Great area!
Just one question; why didn't you use the walled ruin as a bivvyspot? By the looks of it, it would have kept the elements at bay, right?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
First off sorry for taking pic's down,this is due to the fact that i didnt like the fact with Imageshack it leaves your user name and access to all your pics stored on there at the bottom of each page,photobucket didnt use to do this but now does'nt give me a option to download anymore pics on it its site, ive tried to sort it but i give up, so cant download pics anymore(damn it) Anyway cheer's Gaz yep there's some great location's and there's more ive not been to yet, RonW we used the walled ruin at night but its got a concrete floor and alot of debris in there so not great for a sleeping area, and it also does'nt really keep the wind and rain at bay trust me ive got soaked in there and had the wind swirl around causing me to choke with smoke from the fire...

Minstrel

Forager
Feb 9, 2009
Hartlepool
Well, sorry to be late to the party!

First of all, thanks Andy for organising this little get-together :) These things don't usually just fall into place by themselves without reccying and securing access by chatting up the local land-owners...

I set off from Hartlepool with Judi at early o'clock to meet up with Andy; we had a short drive into our access point.
From there we face a torturous bouldering session on slimy rock to reach the thin ledge of grass above the beach...a perfect spot. The weather had been doing its best to drown us until we arrived - then the sun came out for the day :)

Campsite.jpg

Andy and I needed to make a second run to the car for coal and firewood - we soon found a better route in and out. It involved a steep climb from the beach but once up the journey was flat and grassy :) The picture below shows the slope off the beach...they're poles with power cables running down to an old hydro pump. You can see the dilapidated building we were to have our fire in later that night.

Walkin-out.jpg

As Andy said, we bimbled around for a couple of hours waiting for the tide to let us go exploring. In that time we had lunch and did some obligatory stone throwing and sculpture making.

Wildman.jpg
Whelkman2.jpg

Andyandthelostfisherman.jpg
IMG01793-20120421-1522.jpg

Later, with the tide dropping we explored southwards...

Andy.jpg

We scrambled, climbed and slid on for about an hour and a half before heading back for a drink by the fire :)
While out we found all sorts of flotsam and jetsam, 3 dead baby seals, a wicked cave and a final treat was a seal making its way south.

That'll be when the rains came back...doh!

Fire.jpg

Again, cheers to Andy for getting things together. Pity we weren't more numerous; I was looking forward to catching up with Gaz and Liam, my Scottish language skills need brushing up a wee bit ;-)

Till the next time...

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Your probably right,but alas fund's no allow, no prob's will start organising and give you a shout.,maybe do a differant sleep location each night on a two nighter next time?

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
It would have been good ti catch up John , but i was at glen trool the week before so the finances were shot ,, yi need ti get up ti a glentrool meet some time you aswell Andy ,,, a great weekend ...

Minstrel

Forager
Feb 9, 2009
Hartlepool
It would have been good ti catch up John , but i was at glen trool the week before so the finances were shot ,, yi need ti get up ti a glentrool meet some time you aswell Andy ,,, a great weekend ...

I will Gaz...keep me in the loop and I'll try for the next one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE