New Bamboo Arrows (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was given some excellent arrow bamboo a few weeks ago and have been making some arrows from it. Nocks and foreshafts are Osage orange, fletchings are goose, and sinew is all elk.

arrowshafts1.jpg

nockinserts.jpg

nocked.jpg

dsc_0040.jpg

dsc_0046.jpg

I tried to make a "tutorial" of sorts with a lot more photos on the blog page but realized there are a lot more steps than are easily explained. Doing it is tedious enough, explaining it is even worse. I'll follow up when the set is done and painted.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks really neat and I must say after having done this a few time ( lets say about 12 arrows i have made by now, that is arrows which deserve the name arrow ^^) I really learned to apreciate the art of fletching as it is remarkable tedious process, a Friend of mine does this a lot more often, will try and kick him onto the forum too ^^
But lovely job and gotta say that I love the Traditional Bodkins.
Yours sincerely Ruud

They haven't seen the light of day yet so I don't know how they shoot. I want to get them painted first to protect the hide glue (and, as of this morning, I still have one to fletch). The heads are heavier than I usually shoot but I love the bodkins. If they fly as well as I hope, I'll try hunting with them this year.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm not sure hunting with those heads would be legal here. IIRC Florida requires at least 2 blades on hunting broadheads. I'm not really positive though and It may well be different in NM anyway but you might want to check first just to be sure.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Very nice work there.

Loving those Bodkins. They really knew how to make nice arrowheads back in the medieval times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE