New ASL

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jakunen

Native
This Monday my son joins 1ST Woosehill Cub Scouts Kestrel Pack and I join as a trainee ASL.

Any advice?

I'm loking forward to it as I'll get to spend some proper time with Shehan, get to do some bushcraft type stuff, (Oh great! You've got experience as a bushcraft instructor! When can you start?), and it'll give me something oustide of work, work, the family and work...

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Enjoy! It's a great feeling to pass on knowledge, skills and positive attitudes to young people.

Do the training, listen to lots of experienced leaders, take the best from each and develop your own style.

Simon

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
You will have a great time, just relax, they don't bite and they will be interested in what you share/teach them (when you can get them to calm down).

I started as ASL at the back end of last year and really enjoy it.
I did all the modules I could on line and printed out the certificates, I still don't have training advisor.. but I'm working on that.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Yup - take it slow and enjoy it

if you don't know about something just ask there is mountains of experience out there but there is always the opportunity for you to add your own input to the pot - that's what makes Scouting great (like this site) the variety of skills and the willingness to share them ;)

Scouting is a minefield of acronyms though - can be mind boggling to start with...... I created this on our District site that may help :)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I advise attending training courses as you are trying to learn the Scouting way and jargon.

check out http://www.escouts.org.uk/ for tips and advice and follow what simon said about listening to other leaders.

I would advise that you give your son space to enjoy his Scouting and let someone else dicipline him if required it helps the Pack run better.

The most important thing is to enjoy it.goodjob

Last edited:

jakunen

Native
Cheers.
While I want to spend mor etime with him, I'll let Akela or Baloo sort him out. I'm sure its bad enough Dad tellign him off outside of the pack than having me do it infront of his new friends. LOL.

I'll have a look at that site.

Thanks for all the advise guys. I'll put it to good use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE