New Alaskan thing on Discovery

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Did anyone catch the new survival type docu on Discovery last night. Same old fair, nine folks stuck in the wilderness and have to survive and make it out in a couple of months. I actually enjoyed it last night, but the only half competant woman dropped out due to the other numpties. They'll probably all die except for the fact that the makers of the programme won't let it happen... shame that.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Just watching it as I type, I'm not sure I'll get far into it as you just know the only ones who'll get to the end are the idiots, because everyone else died looking after them, and they'll think they did really well!

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I watched it potentially good, but let down by a bunch of completely useless numpties:christmas1:.
Would have been better if they had a bit knowledge.
Did ya see them striking the striker to make fire withe the blade of the knife, and the fact they took all kit with them regardless of what it was ie big galvanised tub, ukulele half a brain cell between 9 :pokenest:

Still.........will watch it next week to see if the Grizzlies getem:red:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No, this is a slightly different concept. I thought it was a repeat too at first, but it ain't.

Ahh poo, I didn't bother tuning in for this one as that other got a slating at the time.

I'll check for the repeats after the footy's finished

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Did ya see them striking the striker to make fire withe the blade of the knife, and the fact they took all kit with them regardless of what it was ie big galvanised tub, ukulele half a brain cell between 9 :pokenest:

Yeah, their knife abuse was shocking. As was their attempts at setting snares randomly anywhere in the vain hope a lost bunny will wonder into one. They will all die.

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
1x Mouse divided between 8 of them........I think they might be a bit hungry now:)
And he hit it with his shoe:D

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I thought the ukulele was a good idea - dry tinder would have been hard to find :)

:lmao: Valid point

JonathanD Quote:
Yeah, their knife abuse was shocking. As was their attempts at setting snares randomly anywhere in the vain hope a lost bunny will wonder into one. They will all die.

Did ya see that Bimbo sharpening that Hatchet with a rock, by the time she'd finished the handle would've been sharper.........

1x Mouse divided between 8 of them........I think they might be a bit hungry now
And he hit it with his shoe

:lmao::lmao: and that older woman whinged because she never got any:lmao:

In fact I cant wait to see the next one now:dunno::D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Plus, all those wire strings could have come in handy and, if any one was musical, you could accompany them by beating it on some rocks because you wouldn’t want to listen to the thing!

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
Alaska; Surviving the Last Frontier 2:

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/tv-sch...ode=GB&channel_code=DCUK-ENG&series_id=151406

For me, the interesting thing is what happens when there's no defined leader; everyone just tries to be helpful to everyone else and consensus opinion rules, despite what you'd normally consider as a bad decision (i.e. taking the ukulele and bath tub or the decision not to remove and change footwear when crossing the river). As the programme says, they've been given some training, but seem to be unwilling to apply it and get in the wilderness mindset. What's telling is that they're expecting to get enough food for routine meals rather than browsing and foraging as they go along.

For me, it's more interesting as an observation exercise in how humans deal with an unfamiliar situation and out of their comfort zone.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
bugger, saw the add for that but ended up watching tonnes of "Fringe" with the missus so forgot about it.
i'll have to give it a watch on catch up or something.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE