New airgun storage legislation 10-2-2011

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
From Febuary 10th , airgun owners will be liable for a fine of up to £1000 if they fail to take reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised access to their gun by people under the age of 18 .

The legislation requires owners to store the airgun out of sight and separately from pellets in a robust , lockable cupboard and and keep the keys separate and secure.

http://www.countryside-alliance.org...al-issues/-new-legislation-regarding-airguns/

Is this just the first step to all airgun owners requiring to be licenced?

Craig ...........

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Seems like a fairly loose piece of legislation with much of it based on the interpretation of what amounts to 'reasonable precautions'. The rest seems to be recommendations rather than legislation. A basic trigger guard type lock would be sufficent to prevent unauthorised use. Would a small padlock on a gunslip or hard case be classed as reasonable?

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Seems like a fairly loose piece of legislation with much of it based on the interpretation of what amounts to 'reasonable precautions'. The rest seems to be recommendations rather than legislation. A basic trigger guard type lock would be sufficent to prevent unauthorised use. Would a small padlock on a gunslip or hard case be classed as reasonable?

And i suppose none of the police forces have the money or manpower to go and check up on owners .

But how many people have an old airgun that sits in a wardrobe , cupboard or just stands in the corner .

Craig.........

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
A lot of people could find themselves incriminated overnight. There must be hundreds of thousands of old and forgotten airguns sitting around.

RR

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I don't see anything to get excited about.

Ammo shouldn't be stored with the gun as a matter of course and anyone with an ounce of sense isn't going to leave the gun lying around the house when there are kids of any age roaming around.

Gun sense and kids are a dead easy combination to get right if you spare more than half a thought to it.

This is impossible to enforce and is only likely ever to be called into question if a minor gets up to no good with his or her parents air rifle. In that event questions ought to be asked anyway.

And I, for one, would have absolutely no problem whatsoever if/when airguns fall under ownership legislation similar to shotguns or firearms.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
I'm not sure if keeping the pellets seperate forms part of the legislation or is just guidance. It sound to me like basic precautions are all that is required.

In the case of a prosecution, how can they prove ownership and therefore responsibility for its security without a record of all gun owners. Or is that the next step!!

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I first noticed this story in a copy of The countrymans weekly , and i'm now wondering whether the writer also works for the mail.
It seems like me he grabbed the story by the wrong end of the stick.
I guess i should have read about the legislation in a few differant places to get a better picture .

Craig.............

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
In the case of a prosecution, how can they prove ownership and therefore responsibility for its security without a record of all gun owners. Or is that the next step!!

The gun shop owners have to keep a register of whom they sell new rifles and certain accessories too, that includes moderators and spare/alternate bore barrels. It's a starting point for any knock on the door, but there is no such recording for when I sell a rifle to a private individual.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE