Never leave home without....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
A small wrap of gaffa tape. Essential. The uses of gaffa tape are endless from repairing tarps and tents to improvised ski bindings. Just one of those things that has got me out of trouble so many times. The other Cable ties /Zip ties well handy.
Wot other little bits of kit do you swear by?
Cheers
Rich

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Front door keys.

Sorry - a bit frivolous.

Probably zip ties in terms of useful hardware - I agree that they're indispensable. Or, maybe good book or magazine with something outdoors-y in it - at least I can learn something useful while I'm sat on the train or bus.

Ah - I've just thought! My camera. May not be that 'useful' in terms of survival (although camera lens in the sun for firelighting? 35mm film for tinder? Flash for signaling?) but always a great way to record what you've seen and done. Happy with that one!

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I like to examine kit from the point of view of someone from a century ago looking at it (probably goes with being a Radio 4 listener). So much modern stuff is nice, but unnecessary. One thing I have often been thankful for, and think would have been pounced on by campers of yore, is the humble Zip-Loc bag. Keeps gear dry, holds food, doubles as an emergency water carrier (never buy the cheap brands, they just can't stand up to heavy use), impromptu vapour liner sock...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Pal of mine in the TA used to always carry a condom- essential for carrying water, stopping mud getting up the rifle muzzle, etc, etc. That was his story, anyway.

Key ring LED torch is very handy, I carry one everywhere.

I've lately got fed up of not having binos with me when I want them, so I bought an excellent Russian monocular new for under £15. Unlike the binos, it fits in a pocket, so I always have it when I'm out in the country. The cheap Chinese 8x20 monoculars are even smaller, but optically not as good.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Never mind the Billooks, here comes the....

I've been dieing to say that :-D :oops:

Anyway... My binoculars are probably the thing I miss most if I forget them, and that happens rarely. Years of bird-watching mean I automatically reach for them if there's anything remotely of interest. Great for route-finding, berry checking, people avoiding, star gazing..Not the most vital part of "survival gear" but make a real difference to my days out, worth their weight in custom knives..... :shock:

Justin

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yep the gaffa tape is just wrapped around a bit of card so its flat, and lives in the top pocket of my rucksack or bumbag when cycling.
Poly bags are also always in my pack and pockets (being a dog owner) and have 101 uses. Especially keeping clothes dry and the smelly socks quaranteened!
Cheers
Rich

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
So is gaffa tape the same as duct tape or is it something altogether different?

Since winter is coming on here and at times it can be severe, I never leave home without a huge down sleeping bag in the trunk. Get stuck in a blizzard along some interstate around here in the middle of nowhere when the temps are below zero (F) and the wind is roaring and that sleeping bag can save your butt. And btw, this is not an unusual occurrence. If I'm driving my truck, it's usually not a problem because I always have my ice fishing clothes in the back which include a huge down parka and down bibs.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Gaff or Duck,

I think its a case the we did not have duck tape(tm) here in the uk, only gaff tape and the name stuck for all reinforced tape. Also in the UK we don't tend to call a product by a trade name (except hover, sellotape etc.) as much as in the US. I had to buy a book "American cooking in England" to understand a lot of recipes are full of them e.g. Crisco, Saran wrap (cling film). I think things will change now more american adds are on UK TV e.g. Duck Tape adds are now on over here so the term Gaff tape is probably going to die off.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
At the risk of veering off-topic, to the best of my knowledge gaffa tape and duct tape are similar, but not the same. Gaffa tape comes from theatrical and electrical applications, whereas duct tape was designed for wrapping around the joins in air-conditioning ducts. It's actually designed to stick to itself rather than aluminium, so one of the few things it appears not to adhere to is an air-conditioning duct! Duct tape is usually silver-grey in colour and 3M is widely regarded as the top brand. "Duck Tape" is a trade name, and is also a result of confusion caused by mishearing "duct tape."

Gaffa tape tends to be black and is more obviously cloth-based, whereas duct tape often looks shiny and plastic. It's more similar to the "100 mph" tape used by the military (excellent stuff, which held a friend's snowmobile onto the back of my truck from Pennsylvania to Maine).

Maybe we should just move all this comment to a duct tape section...

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
gaffa tape was intended for film crews, since they are non-reflective and don't leave redidue behind. gaffer's mean the film crew or something like that.

duct tape is ment to close ducts in airchannels

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
forget gaffa tape and duck tape!!

you want speed tape!! 100mph tape pah! this stuff is used on jets!

and at only £300 quid a roll (i think you can get bigger rolls for up to £600) its a snip :rolmao:

any avionics engineers out there will know what i'm talking about

apart from that i always carry a blizzard bag

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I'm a believer in the minimalist first aid kit. If it can't be fixed with a roll of micropore, it's time to start tearing up your T shirt ! I keep a couple of metres of micropore and the same of silver duck tape rolled side by side on a plastic spindle from one of those 50 packs of blank recordable CDs. Stuff matches or something up the middle to save space and add to your waterproof tin. Fixes people or cars as required !

Since I sometimes react badly to insect bites, I also carry a few antihistamine tablets. Was once bitten in Copenhagen by a mozzie that must have been smoking something. My arm shot up like a balloon from shoulder to knuckles. Once back home, my local doc said 4 piriton tablets will give as big a hit of antihistamine as the injection I needed at the time.
Cheers.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I used to carry micropore, but recently I discovered zinc oxitape. It's much stronger and more durable so it won't curl up at the edges. It is also serated along the edge and is cloth based so it can be torn easier than most micropore. Costs more though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE