Networking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I'm trying to get into making my own netting, eventually to make things like my own hammock, My dad used to do it alot for long nets for rabbits etc but that was over 3o years ago and he's gone where the rivers are always full of fish and the skies full of ducks and pheasants so does anyone know where I can get some help. I've beeen trying to follow the advice in the primitive technology books but something just doesn't seem to click.

Are there any net makers on this site who can advise me, I know there used to be a little brown booklet, about 3"x2" on the subject but don't know who it was by or it's title.

Ultimately I'd like to make my own cordage and then use that to make a hammock to have a more interesting and satisfying thing to sleep in than my shop bought hammock.

Any help, information or suggestions gratefully recieved.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
have you seen a copy of the ashley book of knots it has some stuff about net making in it i'll see what i can find when i get home tonight in my copy and other knot books

I’ve always fancied learning to make net but never got round to it maybe this is the time :)

James

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
If you can make it to one of the moots, Ed is very good at net making.
I'm sure he'd be happy to show you the ropes - so to speak ! :D :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mark

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
The best way to learn is to find someone to teach you! However, netting is something that can be learnt from books/websites - which is how I learnt.

The following site has good clear illustrations on netting - one thing you will need is a netting needle - either buy one or make one for yourself. This is basically a bobbin with the rope wound onto it.

http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/net-1.html

For making a hammock, instead of netting onto a ring, take 2 sturdy lengths of rope of an appropriate length for your hammock (i.e 2-3 metres).

Stretch one of them out and use this to 'cast on to' and begin your net.

Net loops up and down this piece for the full length, making each loop an appropriate size (for a hammock, the smaller the loops, the more comfortable, but the longer it will take to make and the more rope you'll need.

Keep making rows of loops until you have achieved the desired width for your hammock. Then 'cast off' by tying these loops onto the second long piece of rope. You should end up with something that looks a bit like this (apologies for lack of real picture):

------------------------------------------ = long length of rope
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX = many loops of netting
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
------------------------------------------ = long length of rope

You can then use the extra length of the straight ropes to tie off to form loops for hanging your hammock.

Remember a couple of important things - firstly this project will take a long time, as it can be a slow process making netting. Secondly, make sure that you tie your netting knots well, as if they slip your loops may move around making your hammock uneven and uncomfortable. Thirdly, choose your rope and net string carefully, allowin for stretching and movement caused by using it as a hammock.

A much faster and easier optionif you just want a cheap hammock - find a fishing supply shop, and buy a 3m x 1m piece of netting, and thread this onto the straight rope pieces! Not as much fun or as rewarding to make though, but a lot less time-consuming!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The SAS survival handbook by Lofty Wiseman shows how to make a gill net, the same method could be employed to make a hammock, and purse nets for catching rabbits are a similar theory too. Try this site.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Thanks for the tips and advice, I've made myself a needle and mesh guage for practicing with, I think it's mainly a case of keep trying and hopefully it'll come back to me. I'll check out the sources you've suggested to see if one of them has the particular method my dad used to use. The problem Is maybe just that I'm trying to do it to a variation from a different region so something is clashing between what I remember and what I've been reading and trying to follow.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Sorry I havn't answered this earlier, but I've been away working the last couple of days.
I'm currently working on a tutorial on net making for the site ;) But for now I had a quick scout around on the net and found a lillte tutorial on making purse nets. This should give you the basic idea and you can experiment from there.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ferreter/nets.htm

Any questions you have, just ask ;)

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE