Nettle seed oil,,,

I have recently bought '101 uses for Stinging Nettles', I was slightly disappointed by what turned out to be little more than a bit of a glorified list.

Interestingly I read that the egyptians used nettle oil pressed from stinging nettle seeds to fuel their torches. Does anyone know anymore?

I was thinking how to cold press the seed and see what yield I get. Or it could be bruised and heated allowing the oil to separate out and it could then be harvested... I really don't know!!

Thoughts please!

Leo

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Go for it lad :D I haven't tried that, but the seeds are nutritious, they fatten hens nicely I'm told, but by heavens you'd need to collect an awful lot of them for oil methinks :confused:

It'll be interesting to see if anyone here has tried :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just had a thought; somewhere in my stash of dyestuffs is a bag of nettle leaves and seedy tops.
If those seeds are as oil rich as it sounds, they ought to burn no bother...........and I need to dig out the dyestuffs anyway for the Dark Ages Meet up next weekend........ I might just have a wee play :D

cheers,
Toddy

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I can confirm that smoking them has no pychoactive effect either. I experimented with lots a native plants in my dope smoking days, and my conclusion was that I wished that I was born in Mexico.

These days however, I'm glad that I was born nextdoor to Scotland.

Cheers, Michael.

I can confirm that smoking them has no pychoactive effect either. I experimented with lots a native plants in my dope smoking days, and my conclusion was that I wished that I was born in Mexico.

Cheers, Michael.

:240: What discoveries did you make here then? :lmao:
Your not a mycologist now are you pmsl...

As for nettles..wowo I love nettle and road kill rabbit soup! mmmm

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

Cheers, Michael.

:lmao: :D :D :D :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE