Nettle cordage query

Afternoon All
whilst strolling the dog with my grandfather today i noticed that the nettles are looking particularly monstorous in size and fancied a go at making some nettle cordage.
my question is do i need to dry the fibres once i have stripped them of the pith?
when i made willow cordage we were told to strip it from the wood then tear into strips before drying it over night as the first time it dries out is when it looses the most moisture.
is it the same with nettles?
Thanks in advance
Sam

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You don't have to dry them, but they will expand if you don't. Making cordage is much easier when they are fresh. You can use it right away as is, or dry it braided which I find better than trying to braid it dry.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I understood you should let them dry as this causes most shrinkage then wet them and braid when they have dried a 2nd time they don't 'move' so much

to be honest I could never be bothered and used them green - works ok and produces quite a strong string (esp if you combine multiple strings....)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I use them green too mostly, and always braid when green, as it is so much easier. I did notice though when I'd put some cordage on the handle of a spoon and wrapped it around, that instead of shrinking as you'd expect, the fibres stretch lengthways whilst shrinking widthways. Since then, when using the cordage for decoration or wrapping (like arrow heads) I've always used dried stuff.

MULTIPLE STRINGS!! :yikes: good grief i've only just got my head round making it out of one strand of willow after a week or so of constant practise infront of the idiot box. mind you its looking very good now much better than the abomination i made on the fundamental course(possibly cause i'm doing it in doors with light rather than after two days of hiking :))

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
MULTIPLE STRINGS!! :yikes: good grief i've only just got my head round making it out of one strand of willow after a week or so of constant practise infront of the idiot box. mind you its looking very good now much better than the abomination i made on the fundamental course(possibly cause i'm doing it in doors with light rather than after two days of hiking :))

by multiple strings I mean make one string out or two strands like you are doing now then make another then a third but using the first two strings as the strands (i think that makes sense) it is no more difficult than a single strand....

OR

if you make one long string you can half it and 'encourage' it to morph together to make a double thickness string

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
When I tried nettle string, it went toghether really well and looked the part, but after drying for a day, just snapped... anything I am doing wrong?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
When I tried nettle string, it went toghether really well and looked the part, but after drying for a day, just snapped... anything I am doing wrong?

Using dodgy nettles that are too young and short probably, or making the strands too thin. The four to five foot purple stemmed jobbies are the best.

Nettle fibres do have a tendency to become brittle when they get very dry so if possible use them straight away, or if you are using stored dry fibres you can revitalise them by wraping in wet Burdock leaves and leaving them in the sun for an hour or so.

W

Wander

Can somebody please post a link or video to a how to on making nettle cord.

Thanks

hardr004

Forager
Jan 16, 2010
chichester
I tried making nettle cordage for the first time yesterday. I thought it went quite well, but when i started twisting it and it got to where to knot would have been it went all funny. it that normal or am i doing something wrong?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE