Net making projects

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
This fyke net is a replica of nets once used in the Pennsylvania Dutch area of Eastern Pa. where I live.

That's a nice looking net. I have been looking at your stuff on Knotical Arts too.

At the moment, for me, netting is quite a good thing to do because I can have a net lying around the house and pick it up as and when I have a few minutes spare to add one or two rows - it doesn't need me to change into dirty clothes, or unpack a load of tools.

Now I need to think of some useful things to make. Just out of interest, what sort of cordage do people use? I'm currently practising with jute garden twine (very cheap to buy) but may not be strong enough for larger projects. What would you use, for example, for a hammock? And how much might you need? It's surprising how much cordage you get through making even a small net.

Geoff

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If you can find a ship's chandler, you'll find loads of cordage to pick from. Mostly it's man made polyprop these days, but some of it is good for net making. You'll certainly find great rolls of it suitable for hammocks, and usually not overly expensive.

Eric

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
I make my hamocks from Heading Twine which is a braided nylon twine that Maine Lobstermen use to make the heads or net funnels of their traps, As Eric said a ships chandler or commercial fishing supply store will have lots to offer. Tony

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Well, after my wife mentioned to one of her colleagues that I was doing some netting, this lady asked if I'd make a string bag. Given that I can't use a fish trap, this seemed a good project, as all the skills required to make a fish trap or net are used in making a string bag. I found this link with a pattern http://wampumkeeper.com/netstringbag.html.

And here's the result:

string_bag_01.jpg

string_bag_02.jpg

I might try a slightly lighter gauge string next time, as the bag looks fairly chunky. Also, after doing the double half hitches for the top edging and the handle padding, I found that it was a good idea to alternate the direction (i.e. a couple of knots clockwise then a couple anti-clockwise) otherwise the handle gets quite twisted. Still, it was a good learning exercise and I hope that the lady will make good use of the bag.

Geoff

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work, I think we will all be making them soon if they bring in the plastic bag tax in.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I use everything from linen thread to loom cord.
Actually Loom cord is a good idea for netting, we need so much of it sometimes, warp threads come in big cops at very reasonable prices too.

http://www.texere.co.uk
and towards the bottom of this page is linen cord
http://www.texere.co.uk/index.php?yarn=linen&display=10

the cotton pages yield some good stuff too.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks - I'd been trying to find a reasonably priced supplier but, as usual, you have to know the correct question to ask in Google. I was looking for cotton string, the only suppliers I found were office equipment suppliers.

Geoff

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
When I'm rigging nets commercially, I use braided nylon where possible. Fairly expensive, at about £7 a kilo, but incredibley strong, and abrasion resistant, and so flexible and easy to use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE