Nessy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Inspired by this thread:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50352

I decided to design myself a nessy, full flat grind and hopefully suitable for chopping and food prep. Not sure it is possible but i came up with the top drawing.

If you keep the flat grind at the same angle at the edge the spine should be different thicknesses.

Hopefully i will be able to make the thinnest part where the grind starts thick enough for adequate toughness.

So will it work?

nessie.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Sounds interesting Shinken. Don't see why it shouldn't work. It's probably a question of making one and see what it can & can't do. What specs do you envision for this one?

Did you try it going all the way instead of blending the hump?

Was the handle area thin if so?

yes it thins out a fair bit depending on the hump size and angle of attack etc plus it dosnt look right with the handle full thickness then thinning in front

you could try using thicker stock so it thins ot a sensible size ie 3mm /4mm then thinning the tang to match

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE