need mittens?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
No idea - I've never seen that kit on sale in the UK. Usually, for mittens, I use a pair of felted wool Dachsteins inside either the leather Swedish army issue (sold by Woodlore) or a pair of Goretex mountain mitts with leather palms - I picked them up in Austria, but I'd imagine that any good mountain equipment shop would have similar.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Ebay UK.
I got a pair last week.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USAF-Aircrew-...Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item27ae354849

The price is amazing, they are in great condition but the wool is thinner than that of the Hubber boiled wool mitts I got a friend. Its not enough of a difference that I am bothered. The leather in the USAF mitts is also more supple than that on the Swedish mitts sold by Woodlore. The Swedish ones are probably tougher for rough work, but not so easy to move ones hands in. There is a marked difference in thumb flexibility.

Last edited:

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
The best mitten combination is Swedish army mitten with a lovikka liner, the lovikka is the warmest mitten I have ever tried and have reheated my frozen hands many times. The outer mittens can sometimes be found for a few £ but the lovikkas is something that you need soemone who knows how to make them. Bought mine a few years ago on market from an old lady.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE