Need Help With Birthday Adventure Dilemma

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matty 2 Fatty

Jan 23, 2011
London
Ok so its my birthday at the end of the month and to celebrate me and a mate made a plan to go on a mountain bike adventure for a few day, but he is a little unreliable at the best of times :bluThinki
Any ways the plan was to drive from London to Glasgow and leave the car at a mates and then get the train to Inverness and then cycle the The Great Glen Way Route to fort William then cycle the West Highland Way wild camping along the way, (both used to camping) BUT hes now got back to me and said he wants to pull out of the camping side of thing and stay in guest houses!!:yikes: He is a bit older then me.
Not my idea of an Adventure i gotta say, we was planing on staying in a the old railway bunk house as a treat, he said he wants hot showers and a bed and the weather is putting him off cos its like -5 ish!
Ok yes the weather is snowing and cold and probably wet but it Scotland and Amazing.
What do i do?? say yes and miss out on the bivi/tarp action (am i crazy for wanting to do this or is he just pussying out?)
say no and its probable he will pull out all together,
go on my own?? not as fun and isit safe??
Say sod it and go aboard with the girlfriend!!
Putting this out there for some helpful feed back.;)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ask some very kind sole from the site to go with you, that way you get a new friend, and still get whay you want, your mate can take you out for a beer when you get back....;)

regards.

chris.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
prehaps you could make it into a fundraising event, that shud inspire you to keep at it and hopefully put some sense into your friend, it's only scotland, not the arctic circle.

If you're raising money for something like help the heros, it might put it into perspective that a couple of rough nights isnt so bad :)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
How about one night camping one night in accommodation , also there are plenty of bunkhouses so it would be warm with showers but not as fancy as a guest house .
some guest houses can be funny about people turning up dripping wet and covered in mud , but the bunkhouses are very accommodating to the disheveled.

Or tell him he is a wimp and go it alone that way you can do as you want .

Craig..........

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm pretty sure you can get a key from the waterways company which will give you access to toilets/showers and washing facilities along the way.

I've seen it mentioned on the paddling forums, I'll see if I can dig out some more info

Matty 2 Fatty

Jan 23, 2011
London
How about one night camping one night in accommodation , also there are plenty of bunkhouses so it would be warm with showers but not as fancy as a guest house .
some guest houses can be funny about people turning up dripping wet and covered in mud , but the bunkhouses are very accommodating to the disheveled.

Or tell him he is a wimp and go it alone that way you can do as you want .

Craig..........

Its a good compromise Bunkhouses sound like the way to go Thanks

Matty 2 Fatty

Jan 23, 2011
London
I'm pretty sure you can get a key from the waterways company which will give you access to toilets/showers and washing facilities along the way.

I've seen it mentioned on the paddling forums, I'll see if I can dig out some more info

Good info would appreciate that if you can find it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE