Need a new sleeping bag... Large Guy :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am on he hunt for a new sleeping bag, I need it to be good in the winter with loads of room,

I am 6' with a 50" chest and a belly ;), I know that Colman do one but cant think of the name, I ve had a British Army Artic one , like them but fancy something different

Any Suggestion's.. by the way I mostly car camp so not looking for a really light weight £200 down one, and not looking to spent silly money.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Pretty much the same build as you and just bought a Carinthia Defence 4. Ideal bag for me, centre zip plenty of room and packs the same as the Arctic bag but a little lighter.
Also can be used as part of a modular system with a Tropen.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Snugpak softie with an expanda panel or one of their elite range which have the panel built in. I have a similar build to you and my softie 6 with the panel is massive even on me. I have an elite 2 as my summer bag and it's also very roomy.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Now I have an elite 3 and find it too snug around the shoulders even with the expander panel.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've the same problem as you Stu and overcame it by combining a Snugpak Elite 3 (I think) sleeping bag which has a built in expanda panel with their expanda panel which comes separately and I've got tons of room now.

I can actually lie on my back with my arms by my sides and it's not snug at all :)

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I have the same issue, i bought a Defence 4, but found it too small for my liking. Sold that and bought a big basin, bargain price and loads of room!! Its a big heavy beast, but for car camping is ideal.....

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Maybe could also have changed outer a couple of years. Who knows. I have tried my elite3 inside my carinthia and a little too warm unless you want to sweat a bit.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
sounding like I might be going down the Snugpak route.... I am a cold sleeper so may look at the Snugpak elite 5...

Is the expansion built in on the elites?

Thanks for Info so far :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE