Neck Sheath Pros/Cons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The big negative is that you could hang yourself with the neck cord if you hook it on something. For instance, suppose you are canoeing and tip over in the water. If the current is strong, you could get swept down the river. If you catch the cord on a tree or something, it could hang you or pull you under and drown you. The solution is usually to set the neck cord up so that it is a break away. The hanging part could also be ameliorated by carrying it baldric style, although this could also snag and pull you in a direction you have not intended to go.

The positive is that it's handy and right in front of you so that if you leave your knife lying on the ground, you are less likely to forget it.

I prefer neck carry for very small knives and baldric for bigger ones.

A simple break away neck cord can be made by using sewing thread to connect the ends of your neck cord.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
I have a compass laynard that has a break away hose attachment that work a lot like the chinese finger lock toy. I designed my own and posted on it at TLT a while back and it has been working well ever since. Actually benchmade uses it on the 160 tether model.

I have heard many discussions on the neck carry and they break down into two areas usually natural hazards an fighting.

In a natural hazard you can't count on being able to reach the cord with a knife to cut yourself loose. Using the canoeing idea if you have ever been trapped in astrainer( tree crown dwon in the water) you know there is very little room to move around. An with natural hang ups if you just can't back out of whats snagging you the momentum is going to position the cord tight against your throat and behind you. I am never too keen on put a sharp object next to my throat.

In a fight i have heard a lot of theory on how it isn't important because you are deffeending your self and won't let any one get near your throat. Well then reality sets in and aving ben a chatholic youth raised in a catholic school system I can't tell you how many times I have had to pick my cross and broken chain off the floor so much for not letting anyone at your throat.
Always best to have a break away system imo.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Well, if you lean forwards (like blowing onto a coal, or picking mushrooms, or whatever) then it falls away from your body, getting in the way.

Unless, that is, you tuck it inside your shirt... in which case, it is no more easily accessible that a pocket knife.

OK, so you could wear a proper shirt with buttons, and leave two or three of them undone, so you can get t it easily...

On the other hand, tucked away inside a shirt, it doesn't so easily snag on bushes.

Keith.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I am spending a lot of my time in the forest, but find that on those trips I hardly need my knife. So most of the time I carry my Woodlore in this homemade neck-sheath:

sheath_1.JPG

The reason that I like it is that -when tucked in shirt- the knife can always be with me on forest walks, without others directly noticing and maybe taking offence at it. I can't think of a BUSHCRAFT task that would require quick access to a knife. So it only gets out of my shirt when needed.

When I am busy practicing skills on a bushcraft camp or course, I prefer to take the belt sheath.

-Emile

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Does a neck sheath tucked in your shirt mean you are "concealing" your blade ?

Technically, yes. I think that any carry means that does not show your blade implies that the blade is carried concealed. But as far as I know, here in The Netherlands, either concealed or open carry is prohibited for woodlore-sized blades.

In my opinion, carrying such a knife into a city, village or other public place would be absolute nonsense. So I agree with the law on that part. But in the forests and marshes, I have had too many good foraging opportunities pass on me on strolls. So a good knife and a backpack always go with me on walks.

-Emile

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
pumbaa said:
Does a neck sheath tucked in your shirt mean you are "concealing" your blade ?

Pumbaa

What does that matter?

If you're thinking about curent legislation in England and Wale, I think you're worrying too much for two reasons.

1. I suspect that Eraaij is in the Low countries, so English law is not applicable.

2. I believe the "stealth" or "concealment" rules are intended to catch wepons disguised as everyday objects. If you think that having a neck-sheath inside your shirt counts as "concealment, then simply covering a knife inside a belt sheath by wearing a long coat, or having the loose bit of shirt hanging over your belt would get you into trouble.

Then again, it seems to me that English law is usually worded in such a way as to leave plenty of room for interpretation by the Learned Friends, their Worships and their Honours, so that innocent people can be let off the hook with being bound over to keep the peace, whereas nasty vicious thugs can be sternly punished with 120 hours of community service.

Keith.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
In Canada there is a law against carrying a weapon into public forums or concealing it. The catch there lies in what you identify your knife as. If you say you keep it for self defence then it is classified as a wepon so it can not be carried. But if you say I have it to trim my nails then concealed or other wise it is ok a police officer might try and bully you but as long as you refuse to identifiy it as a weapon but as a tool you are ok. The only exception would be in situations when it is clear the utuiility is for another reason like carrying a baseball bat on a picket line. Again the ubsurd part is they might nab your knife from you just in case in that situation but leave you with your picket sign and the 2x4 piece of wood that is nailed to it. :D

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Keith_Beef said:
so that innocent people can be let off the hook with being bound over to keep the peace, whereas nasty vicious thugs can be sternly punished with 120 hours of community service.

Keith, sorry bit off topic here but is Binding over the same as a conviction?

Some I have spoken to say it's a sentance from a conviction and others say it's instead of a conviction.

I'd be grateful if you could clarify for me Mate?

Many thanks,

Bam.

(Oh also...I don't like breakaways, they have a habit of breakingaway just when I don't want them to. I'm with Joe here...use the knife and cut it free if you choose to wear it this way.)

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
I enjoy neck carry for those group hiking trips where I don't want to look like Rambo but still want a fixed bladed knife.

If you want to neck carry over your shirt you can make a cord hole in the bottom of your shealth. Add a cord long enough to go arround your waist or a single cord and tie it to the left or right of your belt buckle. This allows easy access to your knife yet still keeps it from dangling into the fire. The single cord allows the knife to be angled somewhat depending on how far from your centre you tie it. You don't even need to wear a belt, just tie it to the belt loop.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
OhCanada said:
I enjoy neck carry for those group hiking trips where I don't want to look like Rambo but still want a fixed bladed knife.

If you want to neck carry over your shirt you can make a cord hole in the bottom of your shealth. Add a cord long enough to go arround your waist or a single cord and tie it to the left or right of your belt buckle. This allows easy access to your knife yet still keeps it from dangling into the fire. The single cord allows the knife to be angled somewhat depending on how far from your centre you tie it. You don't even need to wear a belt, just tie it to the belt loop.

Now that sounds sensible. :cool:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
bambodoggy said:
Keith, sorry bit off topic here but is Binding over the same as a conviction?

Some I have spoken to say it's a sentance from a conviction and others say it's instead of a conviction.

I'd be grateful if you could clarify for me Mate?

Many thanks,

Bam.

I'm not a legal beagle, but I'll try to answer your question.

Being "bound over to keep the peace" is usually accompanied by a term (six months, twelve months, etc.) and "in the sum of £25" (or some other sum of money).

This apparently does not appear on your record as a conviction, so might be handed down to a person found guilty of a minor offence if the judge or magistrate decided that (for good character, no previous convictions, whatever) it would be unjust to leave a stain on your otherwise clean nose.

If you break the conditions ("to keep the peace" or even "to be of good character") within the specified term, you forfeit the amount of money.

You can think of it as being the "fine" equivalent of a "suspended sentence", except that as far as I know, a suspended sentence still goes on a criminal record, while a bindover order does not.

Keith.

P.S. Since this post, I found a good (brief) definition here:
http://www.freebeagles.org/articles/Legal_Booklet_4/lb4-11.html
section 11.8.4, "Bindovers"

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
you can easily make a dual function sheath. suppose you're using a belt sheath and paracord loop to make a necker. thread the cord through the belt loop in the normal way, then pull the cord back round and thread it through again.

tie the cord at the right length to make a necker, you have two loops to ease the weight on your neck.

with the knife/sheath round your neck, lift one of the two loops off and over your head. as the weight of the knife pulls down the cord slides through the belt loop making one long loop of cord for a baldric or just to step into for a sort of belt.

takes ages to type. but it can be demonstrated in a couple of seconds.

cheers, and.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I thought the issue of concealed, as in "concealed weapon" is an issue in US law where in some states you have to have a permit for concealed carry. I don't think the idea has any relevance in UK law... carrying your favourite Scandi on your belt in the middle of town IS likely to attract the attention of the constabulary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE