Navigation by nature?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I like the idea of the natural navigator and a little googling took me to their website, where they do couses as well:

http://www.naturalnavigator.com/

They do some of the courses down the road from me near Chichester so I feel I may have to invest in a course with them some day.

Last edited:

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
Here in Sweden you can by looking at the branches of a tree roughly see in which direction south is because they are more and thicker branches at that side. Lichens like to grove in damp and shady places and on a tree those places are often to the north, so lichen that groves on a tree are probably pointing to the north. Ants like to build their houses facing to the south. A watch can also be used as a compass by using a method I don’t remember.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
tristgo, I did the previous update at work today & have just realised that it's you I am going to see tommorow. I really like the idea of leaning more about the subtleties of natural navigation so you may have sold another book... No connectection etc..

tristgo, I did the previous update at work today & have just realised that it's you I am going to see tommorow. I really like the idea of leaning more about the subtleties of natural navigation so you may have sold another book... No connectection etc..

Thanks for buying a ticket and look forward to seeing you later. It is in the form of an interview, but it is a small venue and the hope is that everyone will get a chance to ask questions and join in the discussion.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I got Tristan Gooley's book a while ago in a discount store/shop and it was one of my best buy's ever. I read it twice already and practice it a lot so nowadays my compass nearly always stays in my pocket. I definitely recommend the book.

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I went to the event last night at a great little travel shop in Notting Hill, where I met Tristan alng with 8 or so other people. We were given an overview of the subject & the approach taken, as well as somet background information on the author. The evening included a walk round Notting Hill where we shown a wide vairty of direction finding clues, both Natural & Manmade, which were quite an eye opener to the subject. I bought the book & can't wait to find time to read it this weekend. This is another one of those bushcraft related subjects that make you open your eyes & notice things that you would normally just filter out as not being interesting or useful. Natural navigation seems to cover a lot of ground such as trees & plant, astronomy, to noticing manmade objects such as the orientation of churces or sattelite dishes. It looks like a very useful skill to have, so I hope to get myself on one of his courses when I have read the book.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
A watch can also be used as a compass by using a method I don’t remember.

Here you go buddy, Regards Geoff:

It's possible to determine your orientation using an analog watch (i.e., one with hands) in place of a compass. The direction will be correct if the watch is set for true local time, without adjustments for daylight savings time. And the further you are from the equator, the more accurate this method will be.
wcompass-n.gif
In the northern hemisphere, hold the watch horizontal and point the hour hand in the direction of the sun. Bisect the angle between the hour hand and the twelve o'clock mark to get the north-south line. North will be the direction further from the sun.
wcompass-s.gif
In the southern hemisphere, hold the watch horizontal and point the twelve o'clock mark in the direction of the sun. Bisect the angle between the hour hand and the twelve o'clock mark to get the north-south line. North will be the direction closer to the sun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE