Natures work bench...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
As I was driving home the other day, I saw a tree surgeon at work in a front garden... He had cut down a massive tree and was resting up with a cuppa....

I stopped and asked if I could have a cut-off from the trunk to use as a work surface in the garden for axe work, and he couldn't have been more helpful. He cut a large slice for me and loaded it into my car... I had some trouble getting it back out as it must weighed about 10 stone!!!!!
Got it in the garden now and I love my new work bench... I even made a quick spoon on it.
So there you have it... A free and interesting, natural work bench!
DSCF1858.jpg

DSCF1860.jpg

Just thought you might like to see it :rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My "heavy work" work bench (my railway track anvil is pinned to one side of it) is a chunk of Ash that fell across the road outside our garden. It is a forked section , upside down so the branch forms a leg....

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
I don't know what type of wood mine is.... I forgot to ask...! It's orange now, but getting lighter as it drys out...

I counted the rings and its 66 years old!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's awfully handy :)
I was taking the hard shell and inards out of a big fomes today and used it to work on :cool: Just makes life easy :D
Mine's nowhere near as wide as Mick's though, more like a stump.
Definitely a good thing :approve:

cheers,
M

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
we have the grass back in the garden now as we might be moving AGAIN soon.....:)

will just get 6 or 7 when i buy my dream house in Wales with 150 acres of wild meadows and small woods...;)

###########i can dream cant I?????##########:):):):):):):):):)

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I don't know what type of wood mine is.... I forgot to ask...! It's orange now, but getting lighter as it drys out...

That suggests alder to me. Alder wood is white, but the sap oxidises to a vibrant orange-red, and then fades (slowly) to a middle orange. Is the bark greenish-grey, with diamond shaped pock marks in the bark, sort of joining vertically so it sort of looks like a zip fastener opening? Alder grows well in damp conditions - where was it growing?

A big bit of tree makes a grand work surface!

Cheers

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
That suggests alder to me. Alder wood is white, but the sap oxidises to a vibrant orange-red, and then fades (slowly) to a middle orange. Is the bark greenish-grey, with diamond shaped pock marks in the bark, sort of joining vertically so it sort of looks like a zip fastener opening? Alder grows well in damp conditions - where was it growing?

A big bit of tree makes a grand work surface!

Cheers
It's faded to a lighter orange in the heat today, but the bark is quite ordinary looking... You can just see it in the first picture...
It was growing through the paving in a front garden near me in ilford.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I got a slice of tree in much the same way. I was driving to work and saw some guys felling a big sycamore in a residential area. As I drove home that night, they'd gone and left all the bits - from twigs to large bits of trunk - and some of the residents were collecting them for firewood. As they weren't interested in the large bits i put one in the boot and use it for chapping stuff on. I reckoned the workmen leave it there overnight on purpose, knowing it will be liberated and that they will not have to cart it away the next day.

Last edited:

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Nice one, it does sound like Alder to me too.

I scored a similar sized bit of English Elm (a rare thing these days) from some tree surgeons at the end of my street a few weeks ago. I grabbed a few 3' x 12" lengths for carving too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE