natural wood glue

Feb 28, 2009
yorkshire/ardeche
evening folks,

this is my first post here - hello!

ok, so here's my query.....

does anyone know of any natural glues which will stick wood to wood?

i'm planning on trying pine resin and ash/egg shells but wanted to find out if there were any other alternatives that might be better.

it's to fix some rings of differing woods (walnut, chestnut, oak and hawthorn) over and onto a core of ash in order to decorate a walking stick/staff.

any advice....?

thanks loads in advance.

gairy.

Feb 28, 2009
yorkshire/ardeche
w00dsmoke,

yeah, i considered hoof glue but a lack of easy access to hoofs is a problem.

we had a deer die outside the house a few days back and we skinned, gutted and butchered it (as we'd never done it before and wanted to learn the skills) but i burried the remains (including the hoofs) without thinking about it - bugger!

BIGWOLFY,

i've not heard of boiled bone powder - is it any good?

also, is it that simple? i just powder the bones and add to water and boil (i presume until it's reduced to the required consistency or for a certain amount of time)?

does it produce a good glue that isn't too brittle?

thanks both for you help. it's appreciated.

gairy.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Fish glue is natural glue (known as hoof glue also) and was used extensively in furniture making.

If you want some it's available on ebay. Only problem with it is you usually have to melt it in a double pot. If I remember right Tengu had one for sale a while ago.

pheasant plucker

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2007
Birmingham, England
If I remember rightly fish glue is dried swim bladders, so you could go to your local fish monger and ask for him to keep them to one side.
Gairym you could also try making birch tar that could give you a bit less of a smelly job lol.

PP

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Hide glue works, it's kinda like gum arabic.

Just get some rawhide off cuts, or rawhide scrapings and boil in some water to make the glue. the more you boil, the thicker the glue!

You should be able to get rawhide scrapings from a leather manufacturer. Just call them and ask, I reckon they'll be happy to send you a bag of the stuff.
If you don't want to or cant get it then ask for some on here, I'm sure there are some members who make their own hides.

If you don't mind the small, crush yp some bones from Sunday lunch, pig or cow is best. Boil in a bit of water again and viola! you have glue :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Bear in mind that the natural glues don't fill gaps as well as the synthetics, in order to get a strong joint you need things to be close fitting. They are also affected by moisture, so you have to be sure to seal everything well afterwards.

Hide glue works, it's kinda like gum arabic.

Just get some rawhide off cuts, or rawhide scrapings and boil in some water to make the glue. the more you boil, the thicker the glue!

You should be able to get rawhide scrapings from a leather manufacturer. Just call them and ask, I reckon they'll be happy to send you a bag of the stuff.
If you don't want to or cant get it then ask for some on here, I'm sure there are some members who make their own hides.

If you don't mind the small, crush yp some bones from Sunday lunch, pig or cow is best. Boil in a bit of water again and viola! you have glue :)

Pet shop (£1 shop do them)...a chew for a dog, many are raw hide...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE