Natural Recurve OTT catapult

• UPDATE - The main upgrade is now finished. The site should now be functioning as normal, I will be making tweaks over the weekend, particularly to look of the site. If you notice something is broken or have any comments please let me know. Many thanks Matt (Lithril)

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Had some free time yesterday so I went for a wander in the woods. As I always do I take a saw with me and hunt for any nice natural forks that might be about. I found a lovely piece of spalted standing dead wood which had a slight recurve to the grip area which I thought would make a lovely pocket shooter. I cut it and brought it home where it underwent 2 microwave blasts and an overnight wrap sat on top of the radiator. The beauty of standing dead wood is that it takes very little drying time over a green fork as the outer layovers are usual only damp whilst the heart is dry.

This morning I cut it to size, shaped the tips and the bottom of the grip and then sanded it to a 180 finish. I don’t normally go higher than 200 grit on naturals as I like a smooth but still tactile finish. If the piece is extremely knitted or full of offshoots then I will go higher.Once I was happy with the shape and how it felt in hand, I applied a rubber on coat of CA finish. This brings out the spalted grain of the wood whilst providing a hard wearing finish.

Finally once dry, I gave it a quick buff with a leather rag and then handed it with single TBG 20-15 suites for 8mm steels.

I think it turned out well. What do you think?

https://imgur.com/gallery/rkQaQyD