Natural navigation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Hi All,

I watched the tail end of (I think) County File on Sunday evening and they were talking about natural navigation. Ive been thinking about it ever since and cant get my head around it? They gave a few examples - eg, moss on one side of a tree (meaning the moss was north facing?). The way a tree was growing (ie, leaning one way or rather more growth on one side - south facing?) and there was also something to do with a track left by a tractor and water was still visible on one side but not the other.

Can anyone elaborate on this and explain in more (simple) detail please?

ATB, Jon.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Quite straightforward really, and not wanting to steal anyone elses thunder,
A puddle is always in a depression, therefore when the sun rises, it acts on the sides of the puddle that are in direct line to the sun. The side of the puddle nearest to the sun, does not recieve so much heat/light and so remains wetter for longer. So the puddle is surrounded by damp and muddy margins of differing widths, the widest of which tends to be toward the sun - providing there are no spoilers to interfere with the indication.

ATB

Ogri the trog

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Hi All,

I watched the tail end of (I think) County File on Sunday evening and they were talking about natural navigation. Ive been thinking about it ever since and cant get my head around it? They gave a few examples - eg, moss on one side of a tree (meaning the moss was north facing?). The way a tree was growing (ie, leaning one way or rather more growth on one side - south facing?) and there was also something to do with a track left by a tractor and water was still visible on one side but not the other.

Can anyone elaborate on this and explain in more (simple) detail please?

ATB, Jon.

They are all pointers which CAN help indicate the cardinal directions. However they are only pointers and caution must be exercised as in many case the location of these pointers are compermised by the envionment they are found in. As mentioned earlier in the thread the Harold getty book if worth a purchase if you have a interest in the subject, hoarace keplers woodcraft book also have good partical advise with regard to natural navigation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE