Natural anti-bacterial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Does any one know of any resources in the bush that i can use when washing my hands to help remove bacteria??? I ran out of alcohol hand gel at the wkd while skinning a few bunnies and was trying to think of natural alternatives?

cheers folk

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
The kino from Australian Bloodwood trees makes an effective antibacterial paste that can be used to remove bacteria before rinsing :)

Antisepticsap.jpg

P10208641.jpg

It's the high tannin content that does the trick.

Do you have any local tress that produce a high tannin exudate that could be used?

Kind regards
Mick

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Not sure if my memory is playing up, but I'm sure Lime leaves can be used to make a soapy like substance..

Cheers,

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
cheers for the suggestions all - I know that the wood of a sweet chestnut tree is high in tannin - woud the leaves from the sweet chestnut soap up like horse chestnut? Would the pulp from the leaves then contain any tannins if it did?

Doh didnt think of the Moss there was loads around at the wkd aswell!!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This thread has made me wonder how I've survived 45 years of this camping malarkey without alcohol gel and never gone down sick or got the Jipuri Jitters etc :rolleyes:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
[sarcasm] This thread has made me wonder how I've survived 45 years of this camping malarkey without alcohol gel and never gone down sick or got the Jipuri Jitters etc [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

You forgot to enclose your post in sarcasm tags. I've done it for you in the quote, no need to thank me!
:D

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
With dock, you have to squeeze the juice out of the younger greener leaves to make a real difference.

Yep,
The juice is the secret there.

As for the original query,I've used any greenery really above dog peeing height to take most of the crud off then just keep the hands away from the mouth until washed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE