Native skills v bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Experimental archaeology is a study, hobby and recreation where comparisons of native techniques may be used to understand and replicate the skills of our ancestors. Bushcraft can also help answer some of the questions that the scanty traces excavated pose. Burnt stones in a pit, for example may indicate a method of cooking game by steeping it in water brought to the boil by heating stones and dropping them in. Of course, an explanation may not be the correct one as a pit of hot water could be used for brewing or even for softening wooden planks for boat building. This indicates that caution is necessary in interpreting other peoples' actions.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
. Burnt stones in a pit, for example may indicate a method of cooking game by steeping it in water brought to the boil by heating stones and dropping them in. Of course, an explanation may not be the correct one as a pit of hot water could be used for brewing or even for softening wooden planks for boat building. .
Or a sauna - or all of these - if you have a handy pit and pile of burnt rock why not multi - task the area?
Man has always hated duplication of effort - especially hard work with simple tools! :)

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
:rolleyes:Cool thread - I'm busy reinventing myself as a 'Primitive Skills' type rather than a 'Bushcrafter', even though every time we go for a walk or go camping, we're 'doing bushcraft', so it is a bit of an arbitrary distinction. I suspect the term 'Native Skills' originates from the US, and implies a 'Primitive' feel, rather than a more hi-tech based approach. US shows like 'Dual Survival' and 'Dude, you're screwed' try to pigeonhole survival categories. So far, I observe the main differences are: 'Native/Primitive' skills means you wear more headbands, buckskin, ponchos, natural materials, you tend to favour atl-atls or self bows, you surf or rock-climb more and you tend to live in the South West parts of the States. Oh, and you say 'Dude' more often. If you are a 'Survivalist' you wear more camo and military-style kit, you favour compond bows or firearms, you like suba-diving or parachuting, and you live in the Eastern parts of the US. Oh, and you say 'Man' more...

Or have I been watching crappy US shows on YouTube while doing the washing-up too often...?:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE