Native regalia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I will try to post some information on some of the projects that I am or will be making: beading, breastplates, neck chokers etc... if it is OK

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
would be appreciated if you could write a brief editorial an how you do the beading and what thread you use. :-D :-D :-D . thanks in anticipation

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
For the most part beading was done by the ladies, not that the men were not smart enough :oops: but beading was often incorporated with the making of clothes. I have a project going on a beading loom, I will try to arrange a proper post as my computer savy son takes pictures. Beading is done with small beads called seed beeds and can be woven directly onto a piece of clothing or on a loom that is tied of and fixed to leather then transposed onto a project. Most of my work is done with larger 4mm, 6mm, 8mm glass or semi-precious beads depending on the project and what/who its for, plus bone, horn, wood hairpipes of varying lenghts; 1/2" 1", 1-1/2"... to 4-5". I also used metal beads as contrast such as copper, brass, nickle/silver. My work is bound with either deer, moose or coloured cow hide and either sinew or nylon cordage or mono filament fishing lines :shock: (whatever works and is in keeping with the theme of the project being made at the time). There are quite a few books on the subject that have information on such crafts by different peoples and they have slightly different ways of making them which is good. I will be back.
just a thought

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Splendid, can't wait to see some details.

Does anyone recall the scene from "The Outlaw Josey Wales" where the young man who is hanging around with Wales tells how his father embroidered flowers on a shirt for him but wanted the fact kept quiet? In some cultures men did a great deal of decorative work, and it only seems to be post-Victorian times (or late Victorian and onwards) that we have developed a certain disdain for decoration and colour. Our loss, I think.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Hey brother, looking forward to seeing your work. I've yet to pick up one of the wifes looms. I have fumbly fingers when it comes to such fine detail work and as the wifes favorite bead to work with is #11 seed bead, I have trouble even threading them onto the needle. :shock: :lol: My sweet lady sure does a good job with the beading and one of these days I'll get her to show me how to do a peyote stitch and maybe, if she has enough patience, how to string up the loom and make up a pattern.

I hope you don't mind bro, but I'd like to share a piece that was gifted to me during a wedding give-a-way.

The give-a-way is a traditional part of ceremony, where the recipient receiving the ceremony gives special gifts of food or specially made/chosen items to the people that help or are witness to the ceremony. Most times they also hold a feed to thank everyone for honoring them by coming to share in such a special occasion. This piece is a buckskin pouch that measures 5"X7" not counting the fringe. The bead pattern is a basket weave and was done by my Cherokee friend and his new wife as a joint project.

pouch0011la.jpg

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Nice little pouch RA - I have tried beading myself several times (usually lazt squaw) and it is really intricate work. I take my hat off to anyone who does it well.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I can try to post a chest protector if I can put it on the computer so far haven't figured a way to even put up the avatar :roll: . I have also several "chokers" that I have made. Will try to do better..
just a thought

B

Bob Hurley

While Carcajou Garou is wrestling with his scanner, here's a couple of pieces I did this past fall.

Here's a Creek/Cherokee choker made of glass trade wampum strung on linen cord with braintan deerskin ends and ties. Note the orientation of the beads is much different from the Western bone chokers, and the choker is much more narrow.
cherokee_choker_small.jpg

http://www.colonial-enthusiast.com/cherokee/crafts/cherokee_choker_small.jpg

Here's a shoulder bag typical of southeastern tribes in the 18thC, it's warped with cordage and twined with naturally dyed wool yarn, finished by edging with braintanned deerskin. There are no bottom or side seams, it is all twined together as you go. The strap is fingerwoven instead of twined, using the same wool yarns. The decoration is typically Cherokee, although other tribes also used the "Uktena" square zigzag which represents a great serpent.

red-black-tan-bag_smallpic.jpg

http://www.colonial-enthusiast.com/cherokee/crafts/red-black-tan-bag_smallpic.jpg

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Wonderful work - truly amazing! Thanks for sharing that with us!

B

Bob Hurley

Carcajou Garou said:
Very nice Bob :wave: , Got son to take 5 and come in to imput pictures in Campcraft gallery I think this is OK?
just a thought

Very nice work, much fancier than mine! Is that the style of a particular tribe or clan? I know little of the northern tribes, I might get to learn something extra here. :)

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I am Metis/Mohawk, but not from a reserve. My pieces are from my mentor/guide through dreams, later showed them to my sister at Six Nations and who really loved them as well as other elders. Even the local traditional Anishnabee find them very good. Some are very old time style and some others not shown are from "societies" in the Indian Nations. From where you are I expect there are Traditional Haudeneshaunee around, maybe they could be a better help? I also go to many POW WOW's and seek out elder's for advice.
just a thought

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE