Nalgene Wide Mouth Bottle Advantages

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Obviously Ive known about these Nalgene type wide mouthed bottles for a while but never used one. I'm wondering, other than mixing powdered drinks and cleaning, what advantages does one of these pottles have over a standard water bottle?

Rich_

Banned
Dec 29, 2011
Bridgend
easier to fill and easier to clean
easier to pour from and personally i find it easier to drink from but some disagree.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Given my experiences over the last two days with a US pattern botter, I'd say for putting under a millbanks bag.

Last edited:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I had thought of that after reading it suggested in another thread but in fairness I think I would rather get up and stagger off to a tree!

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
I find they are very easy to fill from a water filter such as a travel tap whereas a narrow neck bottle can be a real pain to fill when balancing precariously on a river bank

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
The main advantage of the wide mouth Nalgene bottle for me is that it screws directly to the outlet of my MSR Waterworks filter, which means filter and bottle are one unit when in use. No more worry about spillage or missing the bottle with the stream of filtered water.

Incidentally, I have three of them, two clear ones for water, and a smaller opaque white one as a pee bottle. To avoid mistakes, the two water bottles are kept at one end of the shelter, away from the sleepin area, and the pee bottle is kept next to my sleeping bag.

Alan

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Try camping in minus figures...a pee bottle gets much more appealing when its baltic outside your tent / hammock / tarp.

I always get out for this. The gain is not worth the risk of a mistake leading to a wet sleeping bag. And even in -40 one does not acutally get very cold for a minute in the wool superhero costume, socks and just stepping into the boots.

Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
There is a coffee cafetiare that fits nicely onto them, wide mouths mean less spillages in a nutshell. Good for hot drinks, cant think of any design faults.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE