My toilet trowel design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi people, Just made this and thought I'd post some pics to show you.
It started life as a length of 32mm MuPVC pipe, I bought a coupler and threaded cap and stuck them with solvent weld cement. All regular plumbing store stuff.
I cut the scoop out with a hacksaw and filed and sanded it smooth. Then used an old branch I had lying around and cut it to fit inside the pipe at the scoop end, and that provided the cap for that end, as you can see I cut it at an angle.
I glued the wood in place with Araldite type glue, but as the branch wasn't quite circular I needed to seal the small gaps around it with a waterproof sealant. I sealed the inside aswell.
Then I bought some Krylon camo spray paint because I heard good things about its adhesion to plastics and gave it a couple of coats.
Then I wrapped part of the handle with tape to make it even (sorry no halfway pics) because the couple created a ledge, then wrapped it in paracord.
In all It is quite light 182g (OK not uber light- I actually decided to make this as I thought my steel fold away shovel was too heavy @ 175g Doh!)
But this is a completely waterproof container for TP and I suppose anything else small enough to fit in.
This is my first make so I'm quite pleased with the outcome. I have to wait 7 days for the paint to become completely chip resistant but will update you with the results of its first dig!
Please feel free to comment. If u think it looks "poo" please say. :)
looshovel1.jpg

looshovel2.jpg

looshovel3.jpg

pwb

I think it's great Rm , a hollow handled poop scoop :D, really good design goodjob.

My only concern might be the cord wrapped handle being difficult to keep clean, holding onto germs maybe.

That PVC pipe looks like it could have loads of DIY possibilities for other things too, like match containers etc.
Pete.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Tactical Shovel Recce. The tube opening is a good idea , I wonder if the tubes of wet wipes you can get would fit inside it?

Agree the Paracord may habour germs but then again you WILL be washing your hands afterwards won't you.

PS Just thought, If you ever get stopped by a copper with that , you may get a few weird looks after explaining it function.

Looking good !!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
what a great piece of work thank you for sharing I've been looking for a lightweight way of doing this or some time. Your product looks like a very well considered design great stuff

having said that i wouldn't mind seeing the metal one you have that way slightly less

what would the weight be if the cord and tape was removed ?

ow and

I wonder if Izal would compress tighter

masochist :pokenest:

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
I weighed it before sparying and without the TP inside and no tape or wrap came to 126g I think. Of course I could have made it a couple of inches shorter to save some more weight, but would have had to fold the toilet paper, (its a little longer than the width of a piece inside) It's a lovely size for my - quite large - hands, so I don't think I'll make my next one much smaller. I was going to make it out of aluminum tubing but didn't source a cheap enough solution to threading the cap on it, so went the plastic route.
Thanks for the feedback. I have seen one on the net minutes after completing this, called the 'ipood' It's a folding shovel with a hollow handle for TP (not sure if it's watertight tho) but weights 99g. Feel a little sick, but then I did have fun making it.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I did have fun making it.

isnt that all you need?

great info thanks I'm wondering in my head about one of these made out of an old vacuum cleaner pipe with wooden fittings in each end of the tube the top end could be fitted with a couple of O rings to make it water tight a cork bung might also work.

they only question is would it be lighter?

Last edited:

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Good design and good timing!

There is a new requirement on Ten Tors this year; that all teams carry a toilet trowel. This looks like an ideal design and we are in the midst of changing the bathroom. I'll have to gather up the waste pipe offcuts before next tip run.

goodjob and thanks.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Glad I could be some inspiration. Here was mine;

http://bazbackpack.blogspot.com/2009/06/tent-peg-toilet-trowel.html

I stumbles upon this This Blizzard tent stake mod. It weighs nothing but thought that a sponge handle wasn't good enough and that if i made it hollow I could fit the TP inside... genius haha. But didn't like the idea of "selotaping" a tube onto a tent stake, plus the holes didn't appeal, getting filled with mud, so thought about a single tube carved into my ideal toilet trowel, bit more elegant, hence my design!

Pity about the weight, might try a lighter weight tube next time, but there's always that weight/strength ratio to balance out.

Oh and the ipood thing, even lighter than I thought ....

http://www.roughgear.co.uk/Product....base&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=productfeed

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Very cool design, like it a lot. That PVC tubing is very versatile stuff, especially once you start playing with heating it a bit to soften it. You can cut a bit lengthways and soften it to roll it out flat even, which might be quite good for sealing the spade end, just cut an oval and glue it in.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thats a fantastic bit of ingenuity. I might just have to have a go at that. I have seen them made from v shaped tent pegs before. How strong is it?

Nice find with the toilet tissue but does it only come in white? My preferance would be for soft ivory!!!:rolleyes::lmao:

Thanks for posting this , I reckon even I could do one of these.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Love it! - cracking idea and well executed!

- but darn you! :red: that's yet another thing on the 'I have to make one - even though I'll probably never use it' list........ hey ho I love it! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE