My Take on the Bushtool.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paul123

Oct 12, 2007
Derbyshire England
004-48.jpg

005-35.jpg

001-98.jpg

001-99.jpg

001-100.jpg

002-88.jpg

001-101.jpg

002-89.jpg

011-8.jpg

010-9.jpg

I just thought i would show you a bit of what i do, this will end up a hollow handled bushtool, which can either have a firesteel or as a watertight compartment, steel is 4mm 01. Back in a moment with todays endevours.
I will update the thread as it gets further on, all comments welcome please either positive or negative.
Cheers Paul.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
The weakness of every hollow-handled knife that I have ever examined is, well, their weakness. This weakness is due to the hollow handle being brazed or welded onto the blade and the knife having no spine. Guaranteed to snap right off at the most inopportune time. You have completely eliminated this weakness with an extremely clever, yet simple, design. I feel that this design would take a great deal of lateral pressure and, with the plug out could be driven into a tree with a hammer if necessary. Congratulations, It's brilliant.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Just a quick two penn'orth.
You might want to radius the corners of the bottom of your handle cavity or they will act as stress "risers" or concentration points.

Other than that, it looks excellent. Keep us posted on the progress.

Dave

paul123

Oct 12, 2007
Derbyshire England
Thanks for all the comments, i have given alot of thought to this being a "hard" use tool and not just an elaborate toy. My handle option is some 3/8" thick canvas micarta (with no liners) and this will have some 1.5-2mm stainless pins going through the tang and grips up near the butt end and 1 or 2 loveless bolts at the blade end of the handle, my idea is to try and tie in as much strength into the handle to try to overcome any weakness i have created by making this a hollow handle, whilst still it looking like a "Bushtool" and NOT a "Survival" style of knife. I did think of leaving a radius at the weld point, but i reckon i should be ok with my handle design.
Cheers Paul.
PS My stainless pins will be a trip to the local bike shop and pick up one or two satinless spokes!!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Interesting...

Is this a prototype or the final model? Just wondering 'cause I was going to suggest making the space in the tang a bit closer in size to the firesteel, just so there is less metal removed where possible. I would also suggest you don't add too many pins, particularly the bolts, because they too remove so much metal from the tang, and you've lost a lot as it is. All they're doing is holding the scales in place anyway, so one at the blade end is plenty, and a thinner pin on either side of the bottom would do nicely.

Good work though, looking forward to this developing :)

Pete

paul123

Oct 12, 2007
Derbyshire England
Hi Draven, firstly this is my first on a "Bushtool" style of knife, i take your point about leaving the tang a little deeper so reducing the tang loss, the reason why i was going to pin it is to try and add some stability to the grips at the butt end of the knife. One thing i have been thinking about was to drill the butt cap with possibly a 1.5-2mm hole on the side of the butt cap into the grips and set some two stainless pins running down the knife. I have made quite alot of full tang knives and in a normal full tang i would use 2 loveless bolts one at each end but on this design i am looseing the rear securing point. All i am trying to achieve is a handle that is secured well to the blade.
Thanks for your input.
Paul.

paul123

Oct 12, 2007
Derbyshire England
Bike spokes and i havent got to go to the bike shop as i had a "dig" around in my workshop and found a couple, one of the few benefits of an untidy workshop, "dig and dig" and you normally find what you want.
With a smile.
Paul.

paul123

Oct 12, 2007
Derbyshire England
New pic added, i have ground the blade triple edge quenched it and 120 mins at 230 degree C to temper and stress releave it, and i have milled the inner sides of the grips out.
Cheers Paul.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I'm looking forward to see how this develops ( especially as from the last post I think I recognise you as the man I recently bought very nice knife of yours over on BB )

I think it might be worth putting an O ring on the firesteel screw in, to keep as much moisture out of the hollow as possible. Maybe even going as far as spaying in a little protective coating for the inner bar sides, though copious ammounts of glue might take care of that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE