My new website

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
I've got a few suggestions.

You're banner doesn't settle well with the textured background you've used, which I realy like by the way.

Bushcraft is all about the full experience, touch, smell etc. and I can see you're thinking this with the material you've used as the body background. Why use digital elements in your design at all, why not carve the banner, stitch it, or paint it. Then scan/photograph it into photoshop or similar to play with the contrast and colour balance until your happy.

I wouldn't put the introduction to your site on the right hand center column, the sign up for the account is so wide that it's pushing the column too far over and restricting its width, and creating blank space to the right of your laft hand column.

Have a think about perhaps swapping your into with your atricles, as these seem to naturally fit into this column width and would naturally appear here in most sites. This would free up your main left hand column for updates or blog articles.

code wise, You've got a hybrid of CSS aligned DIVS and Tables, which will cause you headaches in the long run, its a beast setting fixed widths/heights on tables which wil often ignore any css dimensions you give them in favor of stretching to the size of internal content which is monkeying around with your div layout. you can see this as you stretch the browser width out and content isn't centering in the same place.

Have a look at http://www.code-sucks.com/css layouts/

There are some pretty good frameworks to build your site on there, that would accomidate your content without dictating the design too much.

Finally, get those pictures up on Flickr, you can get really really easy to set up Flickr site portals that will allow you to upload images from anywhere, your phone, a computer etc. and appear in your site in a browsable, commentable format. Which is great when your out and about bushcrafting. Take a photo on your phone, upload it to Flickr and give real time updates on your bushcraft weekend etc.

I hope this helps, if you need any more advice let me know I eat and breath HTML, CSS, Javascript at work, it would be nice to put it to some karma based goodness.

Thanks guys, will try and sort out a more natural feeling banner and see if I can shift the components around a bit on the home page. Will also contact you, Mr Sideburnt, regarding the flickr portal. Pretty limited with the code the site builder will accept. It's a very basic designer, as it's a budget builder for the first year. After the year if the site works out I can upgrade it to a premium package (if that makes sense?).

And Bushwhacker, the site supports an online shop if you wanted to introduce cider sales :p

Adam

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Just been and had a look, like it mate , are any royalties payable yet ? Nice choice of model for the opening page .
Good luck Adam ...

When you make your banner use transparency and it will settle better.

Thanks. I have a couple ideas for the banner, just need time to work on it.

You could also link or embed videos ito your blog.

eg. "A Trip To Newbottle Spinney"

At present, videos cannot be embedded into the blog I use, but I should be able to add links without too much hassle.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
first screen second paragraph last sentence first word spelling mistake "buahcraft" and opportunity has 2 P's other than that looking good

ps i am being picky

I like it, esp. the background, looking forward to seeing the new banner.

Thanks tawny.

first screen second paragraph last sentence first word spelling mistake "buahcraft" and opportunity has 2 P's other than that looking good

ps i am being picky

Picky is good, it's what I need. I shall go sort that out. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks to all for taking the time to go look at the site. I owe you one.

Adam

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
your menu class "sys_navigation" which is currently on your UL tag, if you can access the CSS add the following value.
width:100%

this will centre your menu in same alignment to the rest of your site, rather than being off to the right somewhat.

I'll stop picking now :)

It's looking much better chum.

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Good site, but had you thought about using an 'off the shelf' package like wordpress? It's free with a pretty powerful content management system. I used to do all mine from scratch, but now opt for this approach. Saves a lot of time, plus you get all the plugins/widgets-a-plenty.

Good site though :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE