my new stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
yey my new Bushbuddy arrived today its a great bit of kit but wasent cheap i have it nestledown in one of john Fenna's leather pouches then i put it in my Trek Kettle then the Kettle is in a larger on of Johns leather bags all nice and neat. The leather bag over the bushbuddy first is to stop it from scratching off the nonstick coating on the inside of the Kettle. im gona try it out later with some :campfire: :cool:

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
oh yea almost forgot i also bought a Trangia burner fits in the Bushbuddy nicely for a fast brew or if their is no dry wood.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My last stove was a freebie from a blog site I frequent for what the blogger thought was the best comment on a particular blog thread. I didin't know there was a competition so after I came back from a holiday and looked at the blog again (about 2 weeks after I got back from aweeks hols) I got a pleasant surprise. Turns out the stove was a wierd UL meths stoves. Anyone heard of Mini-BUll Designs? They do wicking, remote feed meths stoves. Well I got one of thier strange products. It is a small bottle with a tube that fits to a modified lid (plus a proper lid to carry meths securley in the same bottle). The other end of the silicone tube (resistant to heat) is a machined metal stand (base is slightly smaller than a 2 pence piece) with a thinner metal tube extending upwards (part of the same machined piece of metal) with a silicone sleeve on it. Out of the metal tube comes a glass or silica fibre wick. It is the evaporating meths from that that provides the stove's heat. Never tried it for reall but it is supposed to be efficient and able to burn for a very long time for ultra lightweight field baking. There is a special technique for baking stuff in the field using minimal meths and using lightweight kit apparently but I never was interested.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Anyone heard of Mini-BUll Designs? They do wicking, remote feed meths stoves...

Yes, I've seen them. My first thought was that they looked like they were trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist, and were far more complex than necessary. Actually I haven't really had any other thoughts about them since then but I'll be happy to be corrected on that one. :)

Why not try it out?

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Paul B

Mini bull stoves are easily one of the most famous meths stoves makers on the planet (well, tinny is lol). He makes all the usual coke/beer and red bull sized stoves, as well as selling heiny cooking pots, and doing lots of recipes for dehydrated foods. The remote fuel stoves are really quite ingenious, and solve the problem SOME folks have with their fear of refueling meths stoves, for longer cooking periods.

If you were to quiz through-hikers or folks doing the A.T. then almost all of them would have heard of mini bull (it is a U.S. company after all), and a lot of them would be using one of his products. In comparison, only two or three of the meths stoves I've made have ever been used on the A.T. lol

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
When you have had chance to use it. I would be very interested for your feedback and maybe some photos of it in action mate

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
This one was done for you salad and i love any reasion to make fire :)
i got my frie going with flit and steel alothough my tinder the cotten ball socked in murrysbees wax went out the first time as i dident fluf it out enough secont time was the treat i used char cloth with the flint and steel then went to the cotton it only took about 5 stricks total to get the fire going.

this is what i used

time to boil took about 14 minets temp at 0 degrees celsius outside witch i thought was realy good as i let the flames die down twice as i was in and out doing other stuff inside at the same time.

only used about half this pile of wood lighter for ref to size of wood chips.

hmm was a nice capichino brew

to sum it up what a great stove i had so little ash left after the burn i would say a pinch of salt or two at most hope you enjoyed the pics.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Interested to see the size of wood pieces that you burned there. What size pieces do others use with this stove?

21Jun2009-SUMMERSOLSTICEAM11.jpg

21Jun2009-SUMMERSOLSTICEAM15.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...[IMG/]...[IMG/]...

Again it looks like a lot of them are bigger than I was expecting. It's a little difficult to judge the scale but I'd guess that the larger pieces on the left there are probably 20mm-25mm in diameter. Sound right? Are they very dry? How is it with damp wood?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The bigger pieces are around 25 to 30mm. Those were quite dry. Damp wood isn't a problem at all but you obviously get smoke then, whereas with dry wood you don't.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE