My new rifle: CZ455

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....I really think that the rule for shooting animals freehand is dont if you can possibly avoid it. I know Janne and I share a view on ethical hunting, one shot, one kill......

Kinda hard not to shoot freehand when the game's running in front of the dogs(usually rabbits on the ground here for 22s) Or running along a tree limb (usually squirrels)

Really this is for fullbore rifles Janne. Mostly these will be jackets because of the velocities involved...... Don't think I've ever seen a jacketed .22LR!....

Me neither.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've got a 455 .22LR in a carbine. At 43 yards it groups at just under 1/2" using Winchester sub's which aren't that well regarded.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think it depends a lot on the individual gun, of all things. Where you discover what it takes to clean the barrel.
I've always started with Hoppe's No. 9 Powder solvent and a good scrubbing to see what else needs doing.

I had a Ruger Red Label 12ga x 3" o/u. It shaved plastic off the wads with the factory choke tubes. Enough that you could actually peel it off.
Ammo brand didn't matter. I bought Trulock choke tubes for both the 12 and the 20 Baikal, they stay as clean as a whistle.

All I ever see in .22cal, pistols included, is some lead fouling and the usual powder residue.
Hoppe's No. 9 and a bristle brush scrubbing then patches til they come out clean.
About the same shooting .45cal cast wadcutter reloads.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
It's 5.30am and having got in from the range at 11.30 last night I've got to get up to clean one of my Ruger 10/22 rifles for my boy to use in a gallery rifle competition this morning.

Isn't cleaning a PITA?

I can definitely say some of my firearms definitely shoot better fouled. In the case of my 10/22's they often go a thousand rounds between cleaning. Last night however one I've been using for training started to jam. Definitely time to at least do the chamber and action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Cleaning schedule for a rimfire....from new. Shoot until accuracy improves.....carry on shooting until accuracy gets worse.....job done :cool:

If i was unlucky enough to get a rimmy that shot best with a super clean bore i would genuinely sell it and try another

Stainless/synthetic? YES!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Cleaning schedule for a rimfire....from new. Shoot until accuracy improves.....carry on shooting until accuracy gets worse.....job done :cool:

If i was unlucky enough to get a rimmy that shot best with a super clean bore i would genuinely sell it and try another

Stainless/synthetic? YES!

That is a surprisingly accurate synopsis Sunndog. I had to clean my Ruger this morning because it was starting to jam. Still only ran a brush through the barrel a couple of times.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
My HMR's groups start to open up after about 300rnds tthen it gets a few pulls of a bore snake. Takes about 15rnds to bed in again

10/22? I'v only ever cleaned the action and it still gives me one hole groups with winnie subs (target barrel)

Both are stainless/synthetic

Life is too short for excessive maintenance on rimmies :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My HMR's groups start to open up after about 300rnds tthen it gets a few pulls of a bore snake. Takes about 15rnds to bed in again

10/22? I'v only ever cleaned the action and it still gives me one hole groups with winnie subs (target barrel)

Both are stainless/synthetic

Life is too short for excessive maintenance on rimmies :D

Sadly true nowadays. I can remember though when I enjoyed cleaning the guns as much as shooting them.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
That interesting. The stock would be being pulled toward the barrel by the bands but the scope is aligned to the bore.
Yup makes not a lot of sense.

Will be a physical affect rather than harmonic affect but I'm not sure I understand why. Have you changed ammo?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I like that quote. I've not had much chance to practice this week, but i have removed the ranger bands so nothing is touching the barrel and the point of impact has moved up a couple of inches; didn't think it do that.

I'd have thrown the ranger band away too.
CZ's are good rifles. The best thing you can do for accuracy is shoot it to death lol
Learn about breathing, hold, and trigger control...concentrate on those until you are more accurate than the rifle

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I am still not shooting better than my guns

then congratulations my friend. As long as you are hitting the targets then you need neither upgrade or spend half a kings ransom 'accurizing' what you've got :D
(unless you've Already spent that ransom money lol)

Folks do tend to get hung up trying to making a gun more accurate when the nut behind the butt is the weakest link

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE