my new/old bushcraft rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats fantastic, he will be well pleased.

My Grandad did lots of outdoors stuff with me too.

I still have some things of his.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Out of the dryer after 20min. I was really impressed by the result!
Looks GREAT and I´m very happy with that :D

So here are a few pics from the finished bag - ENJOY:

before the leatherbalsam went on:

After I put a coat of balsam on the leatherstrap:

And a view on the backside of the bag:

And another pic from the front:

I am very happy with the result and give it a try out in the bush as soon as possible.
Hope you like it too :)

thx for watching - was a great project to do, great fun and work - and really be happy that I´ve given the old bag from my grandfather a "new" life and hope that this bag would be with me for a long time.

cheers
Mike

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
thx tengu and sorry for the indoor pics *lol*
Hope to make a lot of pics out in his natural environment - the woodlands.

cheers
Mike

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well!

You must bring me good luck!

I got a bag today at the car boot, similar to this. its a real Scouts one.

Ill post pics but Dads invited me for tea and I have to fight with Photobucket.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hello Mike
Thats a great job you have done there on that rucksack, it looks a lot better than my old swedish army rucksack...hmm project coming along methinks
Cheers
Darren

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Loaded the rucksack today first time and wear it a while - and I had to say it is very comfy (even with a heavy load)!
The metal frame construction at the back is great and even if there is no waist strap - its just a pleassure to wear!

My grandfather died last night and I think he is/was very proud to see his bag with new life in it!

thx to all of you, your comments and replys helped me a lot!
kind regards from Austria
Mike

PS: I´ve told my grandfather the other day, that your toughts are with him and I think he get it all!
big THX for that!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Sorry for your loss fella.
You have done him proud with his old pack tho mate!
A case of back to the future!
Take care.
Chris.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Threads like these give me some good vibes indeed.

Mike,my grandpa was also like a dad to me,he was an old chap who died last spring,he fought in our war against russia,and worked his life till his retirement days as feet-on-ground,no nonsense working class man.He tought me to make fire,to whittle,to do a laavu/lean-to,to fish and to hoard old things that others called junk,and to me and him thy were usefull bits n bobs for different repairs and mad-scientist things that he kept on bilding always.As he passed away,the only thing i wanted to have from his stuff,was the handmade puukko that he Always carried in his belt during our fishing and hiking trips.Its worn and used but still a very reliable old knife,that has a load of memory value to me.

So i can easily see how you see your grandfathers backpack.

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
Sorry for your loss, Mike.

I'd rather have a single rucksack like that with all those wonderful memories and experiences woven into it than a whole cupboard full of of brand new, top-of-the-range packs.

Enjoy using it and best wishes.

Graeme

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE