My Log burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
At last the day has arrived and the wood stove is installed. Very happy with it. I removed the old fire and fire bricks. Got a bricky to make good the whole and move the lintel. I then
Made the surrounding . With season oak my dad had. And layed an Indian stove halve. Got a guy to install burner and flue. Just got to wait for the sealent to cure and fire her up.
a5ubege5.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Lovely little setup is that, very tidy looking. Bet you can't wait for your first burn.

I've got my logs, and a great log store (courtesy of the local bus shelter being replaced), but Madam is convinced the weather is still too nice to light it up :(

Got a great hit on kindling too, place down the road has been re-roofed. Lots of baton and 4x8" chunks.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Thankyou for all the comments. Yes I will be keeping a close eye on the fire place surround temperature wise. I am confident it won't burst into flames.
Yes your right I can't wait for the first burn. I have to let all the sealent cure first. Tomorrow evening will be the first burn. But I have to go gentle for the first few fires to let it settle and get the metal conditioned.
It was delivered on a pallet which I took great pleasure in processing into so kindling. I have so seasoned logs that will keep me going for a while.
The next project is build a log store.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
nane6a2e.jpg

First burn and I am in love with this little stove. So easy to use super warm. Life is good. She's out and made me a pie to enjoy by the fire. Beer is open an chill out in progress.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
What kind of temperature does the underside of the wood that's above the stove get to?

Is it touchable by hand?

Looks like you have about 150mm of clearance each side and maybe 250mm above the stove?

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
What he means is, is your wood surround outside the building regs distance to combustibles. Is is it possibly getting hot enough that it may catch fire. Which would be a shame as its a lively looking surround and stove.

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
the wood should be tree times the stove pipe diameter away from the stove pipe.
wood can burst into flames from the normal way we all know wood catches fire and from continuously being near heat at some point it just catches fire with nothing else changing.
also the timber sides are probably too close.
if the man who installed it new what he was doing he probably wouldn't have installed it.
he should have registered it with and you should have the paper work to cover you.

another way to get over the problem is to put a heat resistant barrier between the stove pipe and combustible material with an air gap between it and the wood.

another good tip is to get it swept soon as you will want to be sure the stainless steel liner is ok and not damaged. too many liners have bad edges to them which catch a brush and then it unravels as the brush is withdrawn.
if you wait to get the flue swept then the installer can claim it's too late to blame him.
the sweep can also advise you.
get a stove pipe thermostat it will help you make sure you burn the wood correctly.
also get a damp meter for the wood burn it below 20%
hope this helps.
ps having a certificate each year for sweeping will be required by your house insurance.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Thankyou for the advice. I have built it every step of the way with a guy that installs and is certified to do so and he was happy with what was in place. I will still however watch the temp on the fire surround. I can hold my hand on it comfortably which tells me it's no where near the temp that it will combust. However I am a worrier and will monitor it closely after the obvious concerns.
That's why I love this forum a wealth of knowledge.
Thermostat on route anyways for a efficient burn and a damp probe. The liner is guaranteed so I will sweep in a month or so and see how it holds up.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That looks really sweet mate! I love my own little woodburner too. Mine's set up in a corner as well but without the fireplace surrounding it. Really kicks out the heat too even with a modest fire going on inside. I fitted one of those magnetic temp gauges on the flue to let me know when there's an efficient burn going on, but I find I'm cooking in my own juices! Smaller fires is the answer.

The comments about how close the wood surround has a lot of relevance, and you'll have to keep an eye on that but it'd take a fair bit of heat for the flashover effect to kick in. But so long as you're aware of it then so much the better.
If you're interested in a little accessory for the fire might I suggest one of these. You can buy them for about £70 but I made this one for well under £20 from parts I bought off eBay. Works a treat too. It really isn't rocket science and it was fun to make.

[video=youtube;jrCm0Q9ADos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrCm0Q9ADos[/video]

Here's my set up as it was a few months ago, far from finished I know but it does the job. I am soooooo looking forward to firing this old girl up again soon. She dates back from the 1930's. I replaced the mica panels with ceramic glass and bedded them in using fire grade mastic and she's be serving me well for the past few years without a hiccup. I only paid a tenner for it. Over here in France woodburners can be bought for just a few Euros if you're prepared to put some time and effort in to restoring them.

0005.jpg

Wishing you many contented hours in front of your fire.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE