My leather work journey so far...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
So some of you may remember that me and my brother had been doing some leather work with Paul a.k.a Bardster. We had a lot of fun but sadly we finished the three months that were scheduled as we were doing this for our duke of Edinburgh skill.
Today we caught up with Bardster and joined in on one of his wonderful course in association with the Bushcraft magazine.
We made couple of belts today.
But before i get on to them ill show you a few bits we made during the three months.
After making a axe mask as our first project (which can be seen here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100239) we commenced with a pouch.
It was made from 2mm veg tan leather. It was then sewen up the side with a criss cross patern stich. I decided to dye it red as i think it makes it look good. It is designed to fit an altoids tin, which it does and hoeses a very basic first aid kit.
DSC_5381_zpsa0842b18.jpg

DSC_5380_zpse9e0d113.jpg

DSC_5383_zps00050ee1.jpg

DSC_5391_zps470516e6.jpg

So thats the pouch shown so lets move on to the next and final project that was made during those sessions on a friday evening! :)
The Tankard- this was a great but slightly more involved project. This was made from thicker veg tan probably 3,5mm.
It is then sewn from 3 bits of leather - the handle, the base and the walls. It was then dipped in beeswax to stiffen it and water proof it. Unfortunately mine leaked a bit due to a gap at the bottom but this was easily fixed by taking a bit of beeswax and swirling it around the bottom to really seal it off. Mine holds water fine now. :)
DSC_5375_zpsd0a401c7.jpg

DSC_5377_zps1cc95062.jpg

DSC_5378_zpseb4b79a7.jpg

The latest thing we made was this beautiful leather belt. It is 4mm veg tanned with a brass buckle. This was made today on the course. I love it. This uses no stitches but instead screw in rivets. It took all day but was fun and well worth it.
The second thing you see in the picture below is a key keeper that Paul helped me make. It is very nice and made from latigo leather. I have a karabiner kit that hooks on nicely to it.
DSC_5366_zpsef9d0e98.jpg

I would highly recommend Paul's courses! Get along to one if you can!

Im sure my brother will be along to voice his side of the story soon! :)
Thanks for looking! :)
Jacob

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks for all the kind comments guys! :) I had a huge amount of fun making it and have just started another pouch (this time to fit a 2oz tin). So far ive cut out the pattern and cut out the leather. Next up make the holes and then dye the whole thing a beautiful black! Just need a popper for the lid but i might place a cheeky order with tandy for that! :)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks guys for all the comments. I ventured on further today and completed (almost) another belt pouch. This was the test to see if I could do it on my own. I'll post a pic in a min. The only thing left to do is to put a press stud on it. But I need to get the tool and press studs for that! It is a bit of a snug fit but I'm leaving the tin in it to see if it loosens up a bit. Could I soak it in water to loosen it up so it fits in better?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE