My knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I have been talking about this for a while now and I got loads of help and advice from british blades (dave barker especially :biggthump ). I have finally finished making a knife handle.

It is not totally bushcraft but I will be doing a scandi blade dave sent me soon and well we all have to cook don't we.

deba.jpg

deba2.jpg

handle.jpg

Unfortunately the underside of the handle has the best bit of pattern but we live and learn. The camera is also kind there is a lot of room for improvement but it is a decent start I hope you will agree. I didn't use any power tools so all by hand (which is why it took so flippin long :shock: ) The black bit is buffalo horn. Last but not least it is the sharpest kitchen knife I have seen.

Bill

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Wow that's a nice kitchen knife Bill! :) I have a question. Howcome the handle not covering the hole tang?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Viking I was going for a similar style to ones on the site where I got the blade

volpini5.jpg

This kind of thing. The tang is quite long and to cover it all would have made a big handle.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Leon: yes it was from Dennis. It had a tiny chip in the edge so was on special but thats almost gone after a couple of sharpenings.

PW: I don't know if it is up to commercial standards yet. The time it took to finish was just ages but I'm considering some form of power sanding which will cut the time dramatically.

Bill

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Nice work mate! still haven't paypalled dennis about my order! :roll: will have to do it next time im using someone elses pc!

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
tenbears10 said:
Leon: yes it was from Dennis. It had a tiny chip in the edge so was on special but thats almost gone after a couple of sharpenings.

PW: I don't know if it is up to commercial standards yet. The time it took to finish was just ages but I'm considering some form of power sanding which will cut the time dramatically.

Bill

POWER SANDING..

See ain't as easy as people think being done bu hand is it! :lmao:

But there is a real piece of your souls in that one mate, a power sander will speed things up, but the knife will not feel the same.

believe me!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I know Dave. It is much more satisfying to think you did it totally by hand but you know how long this took from start to finish. I think sanding is the most time consuming part and power would allow me to shape a handle much more.

We'll see.

Bill

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
tenbears10 said:
I know Dave. It is much more satisfying to think you did it totally by hand but you know how long this took from start to finish. I think sanding is the most time consuming part and power would allow me to shape a handle much more.

We'll see.

Bill

If you draw the template of the handle on the side of the block and then cut out with a coping saw this means you can make alomost any shpe you want.

Do the same on the top and it is just the same.

It does take time, but then quality usually does!!

:rolmao: :You_Rock_

gurthang

Nov 22, 2004
Devon/Hampshire
Dave Barker said:
POWER SANDING..

a power sander will speed things up, but the knife will not feel the same.

believe me!

too right, not having acces to a power sander I dont have an option but to make any knife handles I make by hand but there is something about something completely hand made that makes it part of and something to be really proud of.

really good job tenbears10 :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE