My Hobo Stove!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yup! Another one! Instead of cluttering up other threads, which the thread starters may wish to use if they change anything on their stoves, I thought I'd start yet another! :D

Mine is based very heavily on Waylands' Hobo Stove, it isn't all here as my wife has been tidying up! :rolleyes: Normally, I would have the set stowed in a trouser leg bag made from the trousers of desert pattern US BDU's. The basic set looks like this:

0803300004.jpg

As you can see, the set sits inside the burner and it is a very good fit. In fact, I can pic the billy up by the handle and the stove will not fall off, the Trangia strap is more to keep the lid on the billy can! The pins on the bail arm of the billy can are made from skewers and are for setting the height of the billy above the fuel. An elastic band stops them waving about, they get a bit manky so I didn't want them inside the billy cans! The bail arm can still be raised with the pins on.

0803300005.jpg

Once the strap comes off and the lid is removed, you see the red Budweiser towel I take for wiping the Billy cans out after washing them. Usually, there is a bit of scouring pad in there, but I haven't replaced it after the last trip as it was a bit manky by then. A new one will be added before the next trip out. Also you can see the lid of the 10cm billy sat inside.

0803300007.jpg

Pop the 10cm billy lid off and inside is a cut down pan handle and a Trangia burner in a pot support. This is for the 10 or 12 cm billies, but when using it with the 10 I need to add the computer fan grill as the bottom of the billy cuves, making it very unstable on the pot support as the billy sits inside the supports. I tried bending them in, but it was a nuisance so I just got the grating. the grating sits in the bottom of the 12cm billy unless it has been used in the hobo stove as a grating, then it goes in the hobo stove base and the 12cm billy goes on top, basically due to the filth of the soot.

0803300008.jpg

And here are the sets ready for use. Normally, I would use the Trangia set for just boiling water and the hobo set for general cooking duties. I have a windshield for my Nova stove that can also be used with the hobo although I haven't so far. I will try it though to see if there is an appreciable difference to cooking times. I need to get a chain for the sets, although I could knock up a pot hanger quickly enough if I wanted to use it over an open fire. Hexamine burns well in both sets, the hobo just needs the pot dropping right down to the lower settings. I also cannot find the two rods I use for setting the grating in the Hobo, but they basically go through the smaller holes at the bottom and the grating goes on top, giving a good gap underneath. Again, I haven't tested it to see if there is an appreciable difference, maybe something to do for the coming seasons as I use it more.

0803300011.jpg

Finally, a quick peek at the pot support which has grooves filed into the uprights so that the grill sits in place and doesn't shift. Hobo stoves, I believe, are constantly in need of a tweak here and there. I've had a great deal of fun making my set up, which caters for a whole bunch of different fuels and ways of cooking. The Trangia burner can, of course, be plonked in the bottom of the Hobo by itself and used there, it doesn't need to go in the purpose built pot support. This rig has quite a degree of flexibility, and it is quiet which I like!

Hope you enjoyed my ramblings.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Thanks Eric. The pins were the best thing I thought of IMO, they slip over the handle as there is a gap in the loop of the pins, but once on they don't fall off. There is still a bit of room inside the 10cm billy that I can chuck matches or a lighter into, but I quite like chucking a blob of glowing charcloth into the bottom of the hobo to light the fine tinder I put in. Grab whatever ideas you want, that is why I posted it up the same as Gary. Mine is very much like his, in fact it is probably exactly the same!

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
got to say i love the look of this especially since there is to stoves in the 1 and they seem really flexiable, how much do you reckon it would cost to make one of these?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, the trangia burner is from my Trangia stove, but if you wanted to buy one it would set you back a tenner. The Trangia pot support I got for free as a friends' wife was in UK and went to an outdoors shop to get one for me. It was taken from a damaged set, so the guy just gave her it for free. The Hobo/drainer was about two quid and zebra billies are about a tenner or so each, depending on their size. Fan guard was a few quid from Maplins, pan handle was again from my Trangia set, skewers were swapped for a hobo/drainer with Aragorn, bar towel I've had forever and the elastic band was snaffled from the cab of a truck when i was driving steel plate about the country!

Of course, you may be able to get some bits for cheaper, the billies would be a couple of quid each if you went for a Morrisons/Wilkinsons coffee pot. I reckon these are fun to make, as well as nice to use and once the wood burns down, you are left with coals that can kick out heat for quite some time. Once you are finished, douse with some water and tip the hobo upside down, meanwhile you eat you food and drink your brew. By the time you are done, the whole lot is cool enough to pack away in the bag.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
As far as elastic bands go for holding everything together, I've found the best to be sections cut off the wrist part of a pair of Marigold washing up gloves. They stretch brilliantly, are usually bright yellow or pink and therefore difficult to lose if dropped. The fingers of these gloves if cut across with a pair of scissors make handy small elastic bands for other stuff too.

One of the fingers cut off at the knuckle will hold, and keep dry matches, rolled charcloth etc, and can be sealed by folding over and securing with a slice of glove finger wrapped round it twice.

The wrist bands also make good trouser elastics.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE