My full Setup so far...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ok, so I have been on the prowl to replace gear which I felt wasn't up to the task...

GEAR HOLDERS

Rucksack - Karrimor Sabre 45
Arktis Side Pouches

SLEEPING OUT

Sleeping Bag - Used a £70 3 season a few weeks back and it was unacceptable - so its now with a new owner from ebay... Need a new one... might get the golden eagle from ray mears site...

Tarp - Australian Hootchie
(light and small backup tarp at bottom of the bag used in case of emergency)

Sleeping Mat - Therm-A-Rest ProLite Regular Sleeping Mat

Bivi Bag - Jack Pyke English Oak Bivi Bag

CLOTHING:

Craghoppers Shirts and Trousers (x 2 pairs)
Swazi/Ray Mears Hooded Back 40 Shirt
Swazi/Ray Mears Tahr Gore-Tex Anorak (off Ebay 2nd hand)
2x pairs of Smart Wool Socks
Lowa Gore-Tex Mountain Boots

TOOLS:

Gransfor Small forest axe (plus sharpening stone)
Timberwolf Bushcraft Knife
Bacho Laplander Saw
Sweedish Firesteel

In Essentials Pouch
SureFire Torch
Cheap Lockable Folding Knife
Matches
Lighter etc

First Aid

Wash Kit

Trekk towel

Im pretty pleased with the kit, only one thing i need, thats the sleeping bag (as i don't have one)... Probably going to get one of the Ray Mears ones - But the Golden Eagle or Canada one - as I am very sensitive with the cold...

Any advice on kit would be appreciated.

Cheers

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Looks a good set up
Cooking set up ? and remember you cant always use a fire and sometimes it may be too much hassle-did anybody say "cup of tea?"
Also, and this is my personal opinion get rid of the cheap folder and get a Victorinox Forester the gains are huge in that one change as it has far more utility
Sleeping bags are personal as you point out ;but I would look at a system you can adapt to changing conditions/seasons rather than a heavy 4 seasons bag again that's just my opinion cos I have to carry everything as I do not drive

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Agree with Richard, its the cheapest option! sometimes referred too as the @bouncing bomb@ as their only real disadvantage is they don't pack down that well

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
A lot depends on the area and type of terrain and amount of ground you cover.
Personally i've never used a axe while out backpacking and i'm really not a small axe fan at all, so for me that'd be a fair old weight saving.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Regarding the sleeping bag, think about the Carinthia defence 4 or its Dutch issue cousin from that was reviewed on this forum, both as warm if not warmer than the old arctic issue, and a bit lighter.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A lot depends on the area and type of terrain and amount of ground you cover.
Personally i've never used a axe while out backpacking and i'm really not a small axe fan at all, so for me that'd be a fair old weight saving.

In the past I used to enjoy watching some bushcrafters hitting the crap out of some lump of wood, surrounded by little slithers/chips of wood, sweat dripping from them.

I'm with you CB, don't see the point really of an axe most of the time. The OP is a foul, freezing, rainy weather solo camper so a bow saw would be a better option really.

With Regards to cooking kit -

I have a 12cm billy can (tried them before and they are brilliant), in terms of the cooker itself, I haven't yet decided what sort I want to go for...

In my essentials pack i have all things such as knife, surefire torch, matches, lighter, compass, spare fire steel, couple of firelighters (just incase) and a knife sharpener, sewing kit, snare, whistle (also have a whistle attached to rucksack and in first aid pack and attached to fire steel, tiny LED light, small candle, water purification tabs, fishing hooks and line (couple of weights also)...

I am going to attempt to modify my karrimor bag a bit with some leather tweaks though... But need to learn how...

Cheers for advice guys :) Please keep it coming :D

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Best bang for your buck in the cooking stakes is a Swedish Army Cookset (although maybe not if you're a gram-weenie!) For less than a tenner you get two pots (one of which you can use as a cup), a windshield that you can also use as a woodstove, a bullet-proof meths burner, the large pot can be used on, or hung over, an open fire, and combining the two you can use it as an oven.

For lightweight kit, an Etowah 11 burner/pan support is the dogs danglies - about $25 including windshield and two burners - fast and simmer - if I remember correctly plus fairly low postage from US. Crusader cup - even if a bit bulky - is the Rolls Royce of mugs imo. For a woodburning stove, there are many, but my favourite so far has to be the Emberlit - the stainless steel is flatpack and incredibly strong, and they also do a TI one as well now. Certainly the easiest to feed lengths of wood into as well.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
For a sleeping bag you could do far worse than the one advertised in Classifides at the moment!! Mr Mears has some lovely stuff but he doesn't have to pay for any of it. I agree with posters re the axe - no point taking it if you're not sure you'll be needing it, take a Bahco Laplander instead.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
Your kit looks pretty good so far.

For cooking I've messed around with the 12cm Zebra which is fine for solo trips, but I also got a Tatonka 1,6L pot. I find this more useful as its wider, and lower sided, which means I can cook boil in the bag stuff easier. It still has a bale for over the fire, but also comes with a pan lid that can be used as a plate or to fry in. Oh and it fits fine in the PLCE side pockets.

I toyed with several cookers that were light and compact for times when a fire was not possible or I just wanted a quick brew up. The two I carry & use the most are the MSR Pocket rocket, and a Primus Easyfuel. Both light and reliable and use gas canisters. I've got a couple of Colemans too but they are a bit too heavy for a pack.

My final bits of kit, as I hate sleeping in the ground, were a hammock set up from DD hammocks.

Voilà a few more ideas for kit!!
cheers
Gareth

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Get a decent Mountain Equipment or Rag sleeping bag, use a divvy bag, this will give you a few more degrees then add a liner for another additional few degrees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE