My Frst Sewing Project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Finch

Aug 16, 2011
Hampshire, UK
My Mother-In-Law donated an old sewing machine she doesn't use any more and on Saturday I set it up in an attempt to figure out how to use it.

Failing miserably having sat looking at the manual and the machine for about a half hour I gave up and phoned my Mum. Mums are great aren't they!! Between us we figured out how to thread the top cotton and Mum showed me the basics of the bobbin, stitch length, tension and zig zag.

sewingmachine-1.jpg

The machine is a Toyota 7001 model of an unknown age. It's way overkill for what I want, with lots of embroidery cams and other stuff, but, for a freebie I am not going to knock it!

I have had some old ripstop in a bag under the stairs for around 14 years and having found it I wanted to make something. But What? I know snake skins/hammock tubes! Sweet!

The hammock is just a cheapo Tenth Wonder Jungle (I think) hammock from eBay, but it's comfy. :)

So, using the basic pattern from Just Jeff's website I was off.

Marking the line to cut up 72" of ripstop was um interesting...

trellis-1.jpg

Yes, that's a piece of trellis from the garden. The only thing long enough to draw the line against! I cut the ripstop with scissors, but went out yesterday afternoon and bought a really cheap soldering iron today.

cuttosize-1.jpg

Once cut I seamed the ends and then ran a seam down the edge. Turn the right way and job's a goodun. These were only going to be my "prototype" or "practice" tubes and I was fully intending to check 'em and make some "proper" ones.

intheskins-1.jpg

A minor issue I found was that once on the hammock the skins were far too tight at the ends.

Thinking about it for 24 hours I realised that rather than chuck them, I would measure my hammock and see if I could cut the ends off and re-stitch. They were measuring about 70 inches each and I was able to cut 9 inches or so off each one, re-seam and test again.

The fit was much better and the ripstop I had cut off meant there wasn't so much overlay in the middle, only 5 inches now. :)

hangingwithMike-1.jpg

Last job was to put an eyelet in the suspension end, just to stop the tube from riding up the hammock.

suspension-1.jpg

I have to say that I am really pleased with the way they have turned out and will be staying on the hammock. I have even measured a friend's hammock tonight to make some tubes for his. He's using sailbags at the moment!

Best bit is it still fits in its bag...

inthebag-1.jpg

This pic was taken before I had cut a re-seamed the ends, there's no eyelets or pink cord on at the moment.

Next up: Finish the ridgeline bag. I prototyped in yellow ripstop that had stains in it, for sewing practice and to see if it would work. Gonna use some black stuff and make a decent one with some velcro tabs on it. Then: Tarp from some 1.5 oz shocking pink ripstop (another find - I think I was going to make a play sail at one point.. Honest!), a basic hammock and a hammock chair to go on a tripod...

Then the wife wants new curtains for the dining room, the nets in the living room shortened a new dress.... ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Caution! Sewing is adictive!
I ended up going to art coll for 2 years just because I had a go at sewing ... I ended up with a Btec OND in Fashion Design!

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Well done ! I need to get a sewing machine.

Hand sewing 'seams' to be therapeutic at first but halfway through a project becomes a little tedious for me.

Glad you said what the trellis was for mate, I thought you were making a glider :)

Thanks for the inspiration to get sewing again !

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland

Ohh yea! I've had a go at stitching some pouches and have ended up making my own 'carrying' system kind of based on the army modular idea. started using canvas but now going to make another set of pouches @ bags from lighter weight nylon [not sure how the weight saving vs robustness will work out - but I got to do something to keep busy [as if I'm not busy enough already], sure beats watching telly!]

But it's all be done by hand so far which is very tedious. My wife got an old 28K singer treadle sewing machine which is awaiting repair when I get space & time, which will be very helpful for a larger tarp project I've been thinking of for awhile...

She does have lots of sewing machines but I'm a bit afraid to use them as they are high end things [She is/was a seamstress] I have thought about asking her to stitch things for me.. but I know what the answer to that'll be..

Anyway nice project looks like it turned out well... I'm off to find out more about snake skins/ hammock tubes!

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Sounds like I have to start another branch of interests, seeing the fact I wanna go in the direction of backpack designing it might ( ooh doh, it really is)
be a pretty useful skill ^^, and have far from mastered it.
but I got to do something to keep busy [as if I'm not busy enough already]
And heck do I know that feeling ^^ have gotten to the 36th count on my To do/ project list today ^^

But mr Finch that looks like a treat ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Fun to read!

I have made the same journey! Now you can almost make
anything with that sawing machine!

:)

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
That's it, there will be no stopping you now. Looks good . When i get 5 mins i'll have to make one from the hammock i made up. As to nets thats hard.

Cheers Topknot

Mr Finch

Aug 16, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Thanks for the positive responses folks!

You're all right, it is addictive! Made a second set of skins today for a friend's hammock. Then I started on a ridgeline hanging bag using some black ripstop. Got three edges stitched before I ran out of light - the dining room bulb just ain't good enough!

When I finish that I have some more of the blue so am going to see if I can make a hammock chair, similar to that shown in the youtube videos by amjust duane. :)

Not gonna go the full hog with it I don't think. I have some amsteel sat here doing nothing so will probably use that for the suspension. Not really sure yet...

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Got three edges stitched before I ran out of light - the dining room bulb just ain't good enough!

My missus does some painting and trying to get realistic skin tones by light bulb is imposible, so I bought a day light bulb for her 'craft lamp', and apparently its easier for her to judge colours and puts less strain on her eyes when working. Being in the north of scotland it can be dark for most of the time in winter so she has to work in the dark at some point.

They are abit expensive but I have been toying with the idea of putting them in other lights around the house...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE