My frist tarp and hammock blog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Not sure if this is the right section but I'm sure someone will move it if not....

After getting my hammock from the DD GB (thanks Sandbag) I felt it was time to give it a go so me and my eldest filled the rucksack with tarp and hammock and set out on our bikes to find a suitable place near to where I live.

I had modified the set up as posted here.

I let him choose the trees and we set about tying the first line up. It was here that I had trouble, for the life of me I just could not remember which knot to tie. I spent a lot of time looking at my son in a perplexed way expecting him to have the answers. He didn't so I fudged around then finally remembered.

After some time fannying about we got the tarp up using various sticks to act as large pegs - I was reasonably happy with the set up. One thing I found was that the guide ropes supplied with the 3x3m hammock are really too short unless you want to go straight to ground, so I need to buy some more cord to remedy this.

DSCF1093.jpg

DSCF1094.jpg

Next up was the hammock, I couldn't seem to get the tapes tight enough round the tree so when eventually I sat in it they slipped a bit.

My son was first in.
DSCF1096.jpg

Next up was me! It felt pretty comfortable for the short time I was in it.

DSCF1097.jpg

Much to my sons amusement was **** was dragging on the ground so he felt compelled to take another picture to show me. Bless him.

DSCF1098.jpg

Comments on improving my set up are welcome.
Gibbo.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
looks like youre well on your way.

im really tempted for the hammock option and i've priced it all, just have to wait until my existing kit wears out until i feel its justified i guess!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looking good Gibbo

The DD tape will stretch quite a bit the first few times you use it, it's a good idea to get it wet and then put some load on it. It seems to speed up the whole bedding in process with that stuff.

How much tape did you get, if you've got enough to have 5m at each end of the hammock then check out Bushblades tutorial for a rock solid setup.

M

M86ney

grab a bit of wood about 5 feet long and stand it up in the corner of your tarp to lift it up and then peg your guy line out from that to give you more room.

E

ex member coconino

Yes, the supplied guy ropes (not "guide" ropes!) aren't up to much, you're better off keeping them for spare and putting something longer on. You may also find that the little plastic tensioners give you the tension, and you'd be better off using proper bushcraft knots. The only other thing I'd say is that you may find it more comfortable to start with the hammock much tighter and more horizontal so you lay flatter. But overall it's a good setup and you'll have loads of enjoyment with it, and it looks like a great location too.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Yes their guyropes (and their webbing) is a bit rubbish.

The only other thing I'd say is that you may find it more comfortable to start with the hammock much tighter and more horizontal so you lay flatter.

I disagree. Sag is good as you can get much flatter across the diagonal than setting up your hammock as tight as possible and laying in it parallel with the hammock.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good stuff Gibbo, welcome to the horrendously addictive world of laying in hammocks.

You'll sort the knots eventually, but the shoelace knot is fine and is the best knot to use if using the webbing doubled. Uncle Rays favourite evenk knot is best for the tarp-loads of info on here about that knot. For the sag angle, 30 degrees from horizontal is usually about right-DD's instructions aren't right for most, including me. Having the hammock too tight will squeeze your shoulders, hyperextend your knees and stop you laying diagonally.

Theres more info than you'll need on hammocking on here and at Hammock Forums.

Thanks for comments, advice and corrections of my terminology too. It turns out after looking at the
downloads.html
that my initial knots were wrong after all. It all came flooding back when looking at the pictures. The upshot being that my tapes were not hard against the tree but were standing off allowing it to slip a bit.

I will retry it again this week and hopefully get better results.

Gibbo.

E

ex member coconino

I disagree. Sag is good as you can get much flatter across the diagonal than setting up your hammock as tight as possible and laying in it parallel with the hammock.

Fair enough, but I stand by my main point that the aim should be to lie flatter rather than banana one's back. YMMV.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Fair enough, but I stand by my main point that the aim should be to lie flatter rather than banana one's back. YMMV.

Of course I agree there the flatter the more comfortable, what I'm saying is by setting the hammock to have sag and laying across the diagonal the lay will be flatter than stringing the hammock tight which is what you suggested. It's generally agreed that the ridgeline length (or if there is no ridgeline the distance between the two ends of the hammock when it is weighted) should be 83% of the total length of the hammock, so in the case of a DD hammock about 2.5m. When theres no ridgeline in the case of a stock DD you can aim for the correct sag by raising the webbing on the trees so they fall towards the hammock at ~30 degree angle. This shows what I mean:

1274609177_hammock_lay_positions.gif

E

ex member coconino

Of course I agree there the flatter the more comfortable, what I'm saying is by setting the hammock to have sag and laying across the diagonal the lay will be flatter than stringing the hammock tight which is what you suggested. It's generally agreed that the ridgeline length (or if there is no ridgeline the distance between the two ends of the hammock when it is weighted) should be 83% of the total length of the hammock, so in the case of a DD hammock about 2.5m. When theres no ridgeline in the case of a stock DD you can aim for the correct sag by raising the webbing on the trees so they fall towards the hammock at ~30 degree angle. This shows what I mean:

1274609177_hammock_lay_positions.gif

As I said, YMMV. Each to their own, dude, there's no right or wrong in it.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Well yes and no. What I'm describing is just physics. You will be flatter with sag that's a fact. However, I agree with you - to each his own - as I think we're now talking about two different things, flatness of lay and comfort. What you might find more comfortable very well is different to me.

Excuse me for the derailment of the thread..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE