My first leatherwork project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
I've been looking at a lot of the amazing leatherwork done by forum members, and fancied trying something myself, so here it is, my odds-and-sods pouch:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The skin is actually camel hide which I got from the Barrhead Leather Company on the southside of Glasgow - it only cost £10 for a huge skin but, in truth, it's probably a wee bit thick (about 2.5mm) for a pouch - I had trouble marking it for stitching because my awl hasn't arrived through the post yet what with all the snow.
I used linen for the stitching and would have waxed the linen with beeswax - but that's in the same parcel as my awl!
The drawstrings is made from three pieces of leather thong braided after a short soaking, so it should tighten up nicely and then I'll oil or wax it, as it's a bit stiff.
I really enjoyed making the pouch, which I'll use for fishing/camping, but my fingers are sore as heck - what a wuss!
Be glad to hear any comments/criticisms/tips.
Cheers,
Steve

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
nice job there steve ive just stripped down a handbag for the leather so i can make something similiar regards dave

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Thanks for the encouraging words, much appreciated.
I learnt a lot doing it:
Be patient and wait for the postman bringing your shiny new awl and beeswax, 'cos they'll make life easier
Be patient and plan things out in advance
Be patient and do a job right the first time, or be prepared to do it twice
Be patient and don't hurry 'cos your tea's ready because you will make mistakes
Be patient with your daughter 'cos she wants to help daddy sew his bag

There's a theme there, isn't there...
Cheers,
Steve

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Never mind, after a few years the fingers harden up, as well as strengthen! You find that, with time you can push and pull needles through thickness's of leather, that before; you needed a pair of pliers to do;)

Looks a nice piece of work and I like the sound of the camel hide too:)

cheers

R.B.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Never mind, after a few years the fingers harden up, as well as strengthen! You find that, with time you can push and pull needles through thickness's of leather, that before; you needed a pair of pliers to do;)

Looks a nice piece of work and I like the sound of the camel hide too:)

cheers

R.B.

Hi RB,
The camel hide is ok - it's quite a heavy hide with a nice finish, sort of mid-brown/tan colour, but it's a bit too heavy for pouches.
I'm going to look at maybe using it for a sheath for my axe, or for a larger pouch for my daughter to carry her art materials/sketchbook in (but don't tell her... it's a surprise!).
If you PM me your address I could send you a small piece - enough for a pouch the same size as mine maybe.
Cheers,
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE