My first leather sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
My first all leather sheath, the cutting and stitching is not brilliant , I’ve yet to wax/finish polish it but it looks ok in real life. It’s a left handed sheath. I made it to fit the B-I-L’s clipper, only it was a tad loose, so the BIL will soon have a Mora 780 in carbon. I have enough left to make a Mask for his SFA, that will have to wait until I know how big the mask needs to be.
My thanks go to Leon1, Eric M, Toddy, and all those whose freely given help/inspiration have enabled me to make this.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Looks really good to me, especially for a first attempt. Wish my first (only one) looked half as good.

Dave

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
That is really nice looking and neatly done
I can assure you its way way better than the "rustic" looking affair I cobbled together using the tongue of an old boot and a leather bootlace no other tools except the Mora
If I posted pics of that people would be crying In fact the thought of taking a picture of it seems a waste of time
I aspire to making something like yours but my fine skills and patience are oh so sadly lacking
Well done; you will be on the makers market soon and I will watch with interest

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ok just an update. I was really pleased with my first sheath attempt, but I will say that I’m sure I could have done better, the dye hid a multitude of sins, including the fact that despite being warned, that what ever I was going to finish it with had to be smooth. Well there is a world of difference between ‘smooth’ and “looks smooth”. The dye worked and the sheath looks all the better for it.

Sheath two and the lessons learnt were put into practice, I made it smaller to fit the clipper, lighter, with less wasted leather to cut off, more carefully shaped. Less fussing and fiddling, the edge is unpolished, just smooth, the sides worked damp by hand to fit the knife, and then left untouched so the grain of the leather shows.
All in all a real working sheath for my my knife, a left handed one like the B-I-L. I have added a D loop, so I can add a double dangler, in the future, if I feel it needs it

Finished with two coats of carnauba Crème from Le Prevo (I nearly bought it off eBay until I realised that it was three times the price + postage on top, )

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
What an excellent Sheath!

I'd love to be able to make something half as good as that mate. Can I ask, where did you get the info on how to make it, as I've wanted to give it a go for ages, are there any links or tutorials on here?

Nice one ,

Kim

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
What an excellent Sheath!

I'd love to be able to make something half as good as that mate. Can I ask, where did you get the info on how to make it, as I've wanted to give it a go for ages, are there any links or tutorials on here?

Nice one ,

Kim

Rapidboy did a great tutorial, sadly the pictures are now missing but over on BB there is a tutorial that I copied for my first one and adapted for my second one
Pretty much all you need to know is either in this tutorial or on this forum. I wish Rapidboy would re do his links, as his tutorial was the dog’s dangles

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
looks great - and every sheath to come will be even better as you learn the foibles of leather.

My tip for the axe, which you have already learnt with the clipper, is to have it in your hand to get a good fit;) - so simple but saves SOOOO much time and heartache :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE