My first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys,

I'v finally managed to finish my knife and sheath from the kit SWMBO got me for christmas. I really enjoyed the process and i'v begun to source materails to make another. The knife is just a standard 9cm stick tang with brass bolster, piece of antler and curly birch finished with linseed oil. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and can't wait to get started on another one and a firesteel to go with this one.

knifepic10.jpg

And with the sheath

knifepic11.jpg

It came with some soft leather to make a belt loop but i wanted it long enough to wear around my neck so i just put some leather thonging doubled up and it works a treat plus i really like how it looks.

cheers for looking

Phil

brumstar123

Forager
Dec 17, 2009
new forest
Looks lovely mate. Patients in the handle process and u come out with a great finish. I've just finished quenching mu first blade ill get a pic up in a bit if i can work this new phone properly:)

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
lloks cool AS far is i can see .....
its 25 to 4????....

Yeah what he said, but posted at a more resepectble hour on a Sunday. Made me laugh though, the hours just roll by when you're at this forum.

Nice work Stinger. I have a similar knife that I'm making a wooden/leather sheath for. I bought the knife some from someone at the BB forum, it's sweeeet.

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
great work stinger! I just finished my first too and am in the process of ordering more bits for my next one-its addictive isnt it!!

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Good work especially on the fit and the sheath is great considering the materials in those kits. It sbetter than my first.

I would thin the front of the handle down a bit myself so it tapers more towards the blade. just my opnion BTW its your knife and if its right for you leave it as is.

I

IBrown

Good looking knife, I like the handle. I was given a kit for xmas as well but haven't started it yet. Can I ask what you used to drill the hole in the birch for the tang of the knife to fit into the handle. The kit looks the same, is yours a Karesuando Kniven?

Thanks
Ian

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Good looking knife, I like the handle. I was given a kit for xmas as well but haven't started it yet. Can I ask what you used to drill the hole in the birch for the tang of the knife to fit into the handle. The kit looks the same, is yours a Karesuando Kniven?

Thanks
Ian

Look HERE for teh same question

Good work especially on the fit and the sheath is great considering the materials in those kits. It sbetter than my first.

I would thin the front of the handle down a bit myself so it tapers more towards the blade. just my opnion BTW its your knife and if its right for you leave it as is.

Thanks mate, in hindsight i probably would make the handle thinner towards the blade but for this knife i'm going to leave as is, but this isnt gonna be my last one and my next knife will deffinately be thinner at the blade. Thanks for the advice buddy.

Thats the kit i used the Karesuando Kniven, was a gift from SWMBO. I used a drill bit from a set a bought of ebay done the job nicely. There is a very very basic how to on my blog.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thanks mate, in hindsight i probably would make the handle thinner towards the blade but for this knife i'm going to leave as is, but this isnt gonna be my last one and my next knife will deffinately be thinner at the blade. Thanks for the advice buddy.

No problems mate I left my first as it was here it is

Myfirstknife.jpg

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Nice one Phil.It looks like a user too.I like the shape of the handle too.
Must get around to making one from scratch instead of just modifying the ones I've already got.
Simon

I

IBrown

Hi, can you tell me if you cut the tang to fit your handle design or did you design the handle to fit the tang length. The reason for me asking is, I have designed my handle shape and i realise the tang will be to long with that design.
Thanks
Ian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE