my first good knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
Hi everyone

I am going to get my first and hopefully only high quality bushcraft knife. I am thinking of the Timberwolf Bushcraft knife by Garry Mills sold by the bushcraft store. If i am to get it then i will certainly get the kit to make my own handle as it halfs the price. i have never bought a hand made knife before and need some advice, does anyone know anything simmilar but slightly better in the same price range?
Thanks!

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
To be honest for your first good quality knife save a few quid and go for a mora they are cheap, strong, sharp, swedish, handmade & will last you a long time
You don't need a knife that is the best or most expensive or coz bear or ray have they're name stamped on it,a good knife needs to hold a good edge and be reliable
but thats just my opinion ATB on your new knife Jono

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
Thanks for the advice, i have a mora but mine has a bad edge retention and i like the idea of 01 high carbon steel as i am told it holds an edge, and is easy to maintain in the field

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Go for the enzo trapper kit mate, great quality! choice of different handles that are part shaped for 60 quid! :)

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I went for the trapper blade and handled it myself to save money but I must say I thoroughly enjoyed making the handle and found it quite therapeutic :) Having input to the finished article also gives you a wee bit extra pride in your new knife. The trapper is a good blade too, I am very impressed with it, it cuts well and is easy to sharpen.

Pics here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74540

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
I went for the trapper blade and handled it myself to save money but I must say I thoroughly enjoyed making the handle and found it quite therapeutic :) Having input to the finished article also gives you a wee bit extra pride in your new knife. The trapper is a good blade too, I am very impressed with it, it cuts well and is easy to sharpen.
Beautiful handle that you made there, how long did it take you?

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Beautiful handle that you made there, how long did it take you?

I didn't count the man hours but as I recall I did it over a couple of weekends. I was probably being a bit careful and didn't try to rush things. I reckon you could do the whole shaping and assembling thing in a few hours, the final finishing needs more patience (overnight drying for each coat of oil).

Edit: forgot to mention the initial time needed for epoxy to set on scales/liners!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE