My first go at a knife..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Borderer

Jul 13, 2011
Borders
To show off the wood that i'm selling I made a handle for a Brisa skinner. I've always wanted a dedicated skinning knife as I do a fair few sheep and deer. I was pleased with the result for a first time.. The best of the yew is still drying but this bit i've had lying around for a while still looks good.
E6xvRR0.jpg

IMG-2238.jpg

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thank goodness the handle isn't too heavily contoured. Looks much cleaner like the blade shape.
Have you got a choice of finishes for the wood?

Borderer

Jul 13, 2011
Borders
I did it with a tung based oil, which has left a very matte finish. I would have liked to have had something with a bit more sheen although perhaps not full gloss.

Reactions: Robson Valley

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Skinning sheep?

We sometimes used to skin a dead lamb to get its living mother to accept another lamb that had lost its mother.
Looked pretty dodgy seeing a lamb wearing the skin of a dead lamb held on with baler twine but it did the trick.

Oh, forgot to say. The knife looks good, nice one.

Borderer

Jul 13, 2011
Borders
Skinning sheep?

We sometimes used to skin a dead lamb to get its living mother to accept another lamb that had lost its mother.
Looked pretty dodgy seeing a lamb wearing the skin of a dead lamb held on with baler twine but it did the trick.

Oh, forgot to say. The knife looks good, nice one.
I’ve seen that done a few times. But 6he sheep I’m skinning are wild soay sheep that are used to graze an area of costal ground as conservation grazers. We have to thin them out to keep a healthy population every now and again. They are very good eating, they get their minerals from eating seaweed down on the shore. I have 3 skins tanning just now..

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Apply one more layer of the oil, it will get shinier then.
But be careful not applying to much, you do not want a slippery handle when your hand sweats.
Looks good. Very good!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Apply one more layer of the oil, it will get shinier then.
But be careful not applying to much, you do not want a slippery handle when your hand sweats.
Looks good. Very good!
A polish with vonax compound on a loose mop in a drill/pillar drill works much better for getting a great finish.
Its a wax compound so is grippy, rather than slippy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE