my first cedar strip so far !!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
So no laughing !!:nono::nono::D:D

reet then am a bit of an impatient fella an tend to rush things -so wor lass says but what does she know ??:)

a got the plans from e-blag :rolleyes: for a `prospector` type canoe a while back ,so while cleaning out me garage -decided i had enough chip board to make the forms :yikes: and with a bit of decking left over from a job i came up with this strong back creation !!:cool::cool:
P1050344.jpg

P1050345.jpg

then i had to wait a week for the cedar to arrive !!
P1020113.jpg

then proceeded to strip it out - now being a `joiner` , i thought a paslode pin gun would save a lot of time and hold the strips solid while the glue dried :)

P1020116.jpg

P1020115.jpg

but then it dawned on me :yikes: the inside would be full of holes also :yikes:
Well !!!too late to worry about that now :lmao:

P1020125.jpg

P1020142.jpg

the stripping was done !! what a chew on them angled cuts are !!!!

P1020122.jpg

P1020133.jpg

but with a good 4 hours sanding it started to resemble something :)

P1020169.jpg

P1020162.jpg

P1020158.jpg

then on with the sealing coat of resin

P1020193.jpg

P1020190.jpg

P1020206.jpg

P1020207.jpg

then another good sanding before the cloth go,s on !!
now, not being able to get 60" cloth i had to make do with doing it two halves

P1020210.jpg

P1020211.jpg

so having started it on last monday this is where i,m at today !!:D:D should get the other side clothed tomorrow - then the final coats of resin on it !!

having to work outside !!i,ve missed a day or two due the weather so i made a start on me seats :)

P1020179.jpg

P1020180.jpg

had some oak flooring in me garage so used that ,going to do the decks and yoke out of it as well !!

another update next week ,if the weather holds !!

;) all comments accepted -so what do ya reckon so far ????:)

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
the cedar was £187 for 1100 foot -dressed -an square edged machined down to 8mm thick x 19mm - would probably use rough sawn next time !!as the amount of sanding that was involved negated any smooth finish - mind ,ive got to do the inside yet ,so it may have been worth it ??? The glass an resin came to £112 with thinners and silica ,etc to fill the gaps !! the webbing for the seats cost £18 for a hundred metres but only used 25 m for both seats , had the oak in me garage left over from a job as was the strong back material - just the stainless steel bolts an varnish to buy now !!

edit : Oh and the ash for the gunnels -been quoted £25 so far !!

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Looks like a great job. I'm jealous and now you have piqued my interest in getting a new project going. I last built a 2 man kayak about 30 years ago so I fancy a crack at an open canoe, it's about time!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful :D :approve:
That's looking really, really sweet :cool:
How long do you think it's taken you so far ? and how much longer do you estimate to finish it ?

My Dad once built a dory out of marine ply, then sanded and varnished until it gleamed :D
It was still sound when we sold it twenty years later, so though the cedar is beautiful, if you're going to clad it anyway ?

cheers,
M

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
That canoe is really lovely . I've just finished a canvas on ribs device that entailed a lot of skip rummaging and begging of materials from an artist friend (the canvas ) and a decorator (some slightly garish cream paint-but it was free!). There were times when I realised that I'd made yet another stupid mistake or was just plain struggling that I felt like reducing the device to firewood :campfire:. Such negative memories were thrown aside when she hit the water last Friday and I've been trying to work out how to post pictures since !
Yours is a beauty -makes mine look as if it was built by blind monkeys !

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Do you do commissions? :D

Good job so far. You will show pics of the finished job and the first outing. You planning to make your own paddles as well? Of course with practise you will only get better hence my first question. Had a friend from my kayaking and climbing days who started of making canoes and paddles (for canoes and kayaks) as a hobby. It became a sideline business. I suspect he wouldn't have made much doing it full time as he spent too long on each commision hence the day job. He kind of made them as a work of art as much as a practical piece of kit.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
wow thanks for the feed back everyone :rolleyes::eek::eek:

toddy : probably close to 40 hours on it now -keeping a log till its finished ;) But working outside is a chore as for the weather and drinking an chatting slows things up a bit but its being done at leisurley pace :):)

paul-b thanks for praise but as for doing commisions :yikes:- see how the finished boat looks like first !!:D:D

rained all day today so not a lot done -went shopping for the ash and scored some for a cool £7 -result :cool:

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Looks very, very nice. I think that having gone to the effort of a stripper that I'd have used cane for the seats. I've renewed the cane on my canoe for both seats now and if I can do it, I'm sure with the skill you've shown in making the hull, it'd be a doddle for you.

Al

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
cheers al21 , i,m using webbing just as a personal preferance plus im going to incorporate a couple of bulk heads/waterproof compartments with plastic access hatches -so i have deviated from the traditional look just a little bit !!:)

right -the weather has not been on my side this week but it came off the strongback :eek:still in one piece-yee haa !!

P1020223.jpg

then we gave it a good sanding on the inside !! Bit of a chew on using flat orbital sanders or the belt sander -so had to resort to the flapper disc on the angle grinder :yikes:

P1020228.jpg

then on with the `fill` resin for all the pin holes !!

P1020230.jpg

then on with the cloth with a little help from me nephew :rolleyes:;)

P1020234.jpg

only got these two bits on that day but proceeded with a rough fitting of me oak decks and `bulkheads` for me waterproof storage compartments

P1020246.jpg

P1020237.jpg

finished the rest of the glass inside today then cut and sanded the ash for the gunwhales just about to fit them when it poured down !!!!so made a start on shaping me paddles that i glued together earlier -under a tarp !!!:rolleyes::)

P1020232.jpg

P1020247.jpg

P1020259.jpg

P1020252.jpg

P1020257.jpg

P1020255.jpg

P1020256.jpg

still raining now !!!
it times like this i would love the use of a workshop !!:rolleyes::)!!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
Just keeps looking good :D

Wickes sold 5 x 7 metre tarps for £14, not brilliant stuff, but it would cover the back garden enough to give you a good sized dry area.
Just an idea :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE