my first and only attempt at knife making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
About 3 years ago I had a go at making a file knife and sheath and I have not shown it on this forum yet, but as they say "its never to late"

5284ed61-336d-136d.jpg

5284ee6c-33a1-c09e.jpg

5284ed61-33c8-d0fb.jpg
5284eef4-33f4-ca4c.jpg

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
ps, the only tools I had at the time

for the blade: hacksaw, file sand paper,

for the sheath: stanley knife and a nail.

dog food cann turned into a forge

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
Looks very serviceable - how well did the heat treatment work - does it hold an edge/create sparks from a fire steel. I would be interested to hear about the dog food can forge - sounds inventive. When i did my first HT I ended up buying refectory bricks and doing a 2 brick forge - yours sounds a cheaper way.

are you planning to make another?

Cheers

Jon

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Looks very serviceable - how well did the heat treatment work - does it hold an edge/create sparks from a fire steel. I would be interested to hear about the dog food can forge - sounds inventive. When i did my first HT I ended up buying refectory bricks and doing a 2 brick forge - yours sounds a cheaper way.

are you planning to make another?

Cheers

Jon

i am planning to make another knife very soon.
its not as sharp as my knive that I have bought but it is still enough for most tasks, it does hold a good edge, it could be better if I had made a jig for the bevel but I made the bevel buy eye jugment. I dont really use this knife as it was just a project for a bit of fun,
iv drawn you a pic for the forge as im no good at explaining.
thanx for your comments
5284ed61-4125-ab97.jpg

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I made a spoon knife the other day from a piece of 2mm steel sheet - got it shaving sharp but the heat treatment wasn't that great and it's a bit bendy

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
Thanks for the picture - that explains it perfectly. here is what i did for the HT and it worked quite well, used with a propane/butane torch - far better than the rest of my knife in fact - its a good hardness but ugly:rolleyes:.

there is a good thread on here currently about file jigs.

Cheers

Jon

Attachments

• Image0054a.JPG
    Image0054a.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Image0055a.JPG
    Image0055a.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 16

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Thanks for the picture - that explains it perfectly. here is what i did for the HT and it worked quite well, used with a propane/butane torch - far better than the rest of my knife in fact - its a good hardness but ugly:rolleyes:.

there is a good thread on here currently about file jigs.

Cheers

Jon

cool, thanks I will check thejig thread out ;)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The blade took about 30 minutes to make from scratch. The handle isn't finished (& probably won't be as the blade isn't good enough). It was satisfying getting it that sharp, though. Used a grinder & leather strop

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE