My First 3 (Shoddy) Fan Birds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
It's been a while since I posted any makes - even though I have been busy carving spoons and scoops etc...

I have been inspired to make one of these from the handful of posts on here (and the subsequent sources), and it was my neices birthday - I wanted to give her a hand made piece of mine as I don't buy plastic crap ;) She enjoyed the flying butterflies I once made her, so I reckon after getting this (fan bird) craft down I will attempt to make her a butterfly using similar techniques.

Making these is fun, atleast by bird three! The first one I didn't carve the notches deep enough or the feather/hinge shallow enough so lots of splitting and misaligned wings... The second one went alot better, but I suspect that I rived the feathers too thick and the piece of Pine I used was too 'tall' - I ended up with 3 sets of wings (or main wings, a tail and a set of middle wings)... But the third one went a little better, even though I went in too hard with the knife I was using (only used a Mora 511) and chopped the birds bottom edge off... however, after the three I made today, I know the next ones I make will get better and better.

Just a word on how I made these. I carved the first one dry, then boiled it up for the riving and wing assembly. while number 1 was boiling I also had 2 other pieces of Pine boiling (for about 90mins). I carved & rived these post boil, then popped back in simmering hot water to loosen up for the wing assembly - from my limited experience the pre-carve boil has left me with cleaner edges and even though I suspect these were kiln dried pieces of Pine - they seem to have worked OK. I hope to have a go at some more fan birds with green wood soon, although there is tons of Pine in the woodshed for practicing!

I know that these are far from the quality of others that members here have posted, so any tips and pointers would be great.

First attempt:
dsc06554w.jpg

From the rear: (note the many cracks, splits and lack of grace!)
dsc06555a.jpg

Second attempt: (cleaner, more balance, but still too many feathers!)
dsc06559z.jpg

Topdown:
dsc06560rz.jpg

Rear shot: (A few feathers didn't sit well as I hadn't carved the back edge of the head/body to accommodate a wider feather spread)
dsc06562c.jpg

Third attempt: (Tired hands (note the plaster!) and dying light reduced the quality on this one)
dsc06567j.jpg

Topdown:
dsc06568f.jpg

And a family shot:
dsc06570f.jpg

Not a patch on Sean Hellman's or Kepis' work, but these are my first 3 with an unfamiliar material, one knife and lots of coffee. A huge amount to improve upon here, but as others have said these can get quite addictive! Thank you to those (new and old, dead or alive) who have shared their technique and thoughts as well as examples.

Does anyone have any thoughts/input on making a butterfly with this technique?
I'm thinking that an equal amount of feathers (like the bird but instead of wings/tail, just both butterfly wings) along with a butterfly shaped body along with a cleverly rived & carved 'top feather' to make the antennae should do the trick, but surely it's not gonna be that easy?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
They look pretty good Androo.You may have inspired me to have a go at one of these as well.
I've always admired them but shied away from the actual making.
I think your second one in particular has alot of charm.
You are building up quite a repertoire of craft skills there mate.
Cheers , Simon

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Ak, too kind Simon - I just fancied having a go, so there's no real grace to them. The first step to getting good at something is to start doing it!
Give me 12 months and I'll be making stonkers ;)
Yea I think so too, I need to revisit some projects now I have the materials and tools to complete. Lots of trial and error with most things I've been making over the past few months, and with no mentors or experienced direction (apart from here, youtube and books) each new skill is turning into a long term learning of many things!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it's greatly to your credit, and encouraging to others, that you've posted showing your developing skills at this kind of carving :)
At the very least your feathers look right and are attached; my attempt ended up as the weirdest feathersticks imaginable :rolleyes: and your wee birds do have a charm of their own :cool:
Christmas is coming; you could make a set for the tree ?:D

Would it work for a butterfly if you made two different, parallel, blocks of feathers on the body of the piece ? Twist one forward and one backwards ?
Antennae could just be two long curls, as for feathersticks, taken from the front block.
I think planning that out could be tricky.

Interested to see how you get on with it :D

cheers,
Toddy

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Thanks Toddy, very encouraging :)
I wanted to rive and get the feathers/wing practiced before making one I can be proud of. With the correct grained piece of pine and a gulp of 'here goes', they were easier than I thought.

Hah! Yep, I might have a good one down by midwinter ;) Will post here when I make one I'm proud of.

And the butterfly, hmm, I've not even got the bird down and here's me thinking I can do a butterfly! But do you know what? I think I will trial and experiment the fan-butterfly. I kinda see what you mean...gonna have to sit down when I have some time and definitely plan this one out - thank you for your input!

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Androo, they are great, you should have seen my first attempts. All I can say is to spend a bit more time on carving the birds body, make the hinge a bit thinner and rive those feathers as thin as possible. try and aim for 1mm or under. I often do not boil or soak pine but use it dry and just wet the hinge before fanning out the wings. that first one looks like a fledgling, with its downy feathers.
What are you using to rive the feathers?

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Cheers Sean, I made a couple of very small ones last night (will post pics), very slowly getting better. Yea, I agree, I need alot more attention on the body. Will definitely work at getting the feathers riven thinner next time - I don't seem to have enough control at the moment with the knife I'm using for riving - thickness is all over the place. The knife I'm using for riving is a Mora 511, and I also tried a thin kitchen knife with a small Sabre/V grind which seemed to work better.

I've tried carving and riving both wet and dry pine and find little difference apart from carveability. I took to carving the little one's I made last night dry, then wetting only when I spread the feathers.

If I rive thinner, I'll end up with more feathers and I'm already finding that I already have alot! struggling to get them all spread into a wing. Any tips for getting use out of them all? Do they still hold well if I get the hinge thinner and twist them up into a more sculptural wing?

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Ahh.... I'm getting it now. Managed to make another small one this morning and got good thin feathers, none thicker than 1mm, and I noticed that you can begin to curve the thinner feathers up higher and with more of a curve than the thicker riven feathers.

I carved the body once I'd riven the feathers, but before I spread them. Still finding it difficult to carve the body to a sufficient level. Also trying to find a suitable way to 'hold' the curve of the feathers while it dries.

Latest try (alot more pleased with the feathers on this one):
dsc06576y.jpg

dsc06577v.jpg

dsc06578m.jpg

Oh yea, and also (after a very breif research!) found a butterfly:
http://www.fancarversworld.com/carvings.html
Some other lovely work on here too, most of them are tiny! - wonderful examples, espeically the flower & honey-bee.

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Make the interlock thinner, in other words the groove deeper, you will get far more feathers in. My hinges are about 1 to 2 mm thick. I just hold the wings into shape and they dry in that shape. Really impressed with that last one

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Oh nice work on those sar from being shoddy those are impressive. On my project list but not sure I have the patience for it

Impressive might not be the word I'd choose but thanks :)
They don't take that long to do. I managed a small one in just over an hour (not including soaking time) I say give it a go, they're quite pleasing.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Thanks Sean, I'll no doubt be getting these up to a decent quality bit by bit - will try and get the grooves as thin as I can.

I've also found that any feathers riven that are not 'square' (thinning to one edge) tend to lend to a kink in the wing and upset the symmetry. (Best seen on the left wing in the bottom photo)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE