My first 22lr rifle - please help me choose

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
I'm after a bolt-action 22lr rifle. I want something reliable with iron-sights.

I've been looking at the CZ 452 "Lux" (or is it called "Delux"?). CZ also do one called the 452 "Farmer" which is their most basic version.

Do you have any other 22lr bolt-action rifles which would be worth considering? In the US they have so many 22lr options, but there doesn't seem to be much to choose from over here.

Thanks

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
If you are wanting reliability give the 10/22 a big swerve, extremely unreliable especially with subsonic ammo,thats why there are loads of aftermarket addons and it could cost you a fortune to get it to shoot anywhere near consistently for bunny bashing, go with the CZ as suggested, it is a winner,had mine for 12 years and in that time the only repair it has had was for worn out trigger sears, cost me £189 brand new.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sure I agree on the 10/22 (other than with subs), they are very nice firearms indeed. Both of mine will shoot the heads off drawing pins at 300 feet (granted they could not be described as "stock").

However the OP wanted a bolt action so its irrelevant

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Was just trying to give Tetra_Neon some advice about his intended purchase and IMO there isnt a Ruger (in his obvious budget range) that will shoot more accurately and consistently than a CZ

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
The cz 452 is a splendid rifle and very good value for money. I have the classic version, and for bunny bashing it cant be faulted (in my opinion).

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I've got an older Ruger 77/22 with sights that I will never get rid of. It's an excellent rifle. Unfortunately, the new ones don't come with sights, so used would be your only option.
If you could find one, I don't think you'd regret it.
Don't know about CZ first hand but never heard anything bad about them.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Never had any problems with the 10/22 myself and I've bought 3 of them for grandkids so far. Counting my uncles that makes 4 I've got 1st hand experience with. All the aftermarket stuff available is to "military" the gun up & make it "tacti-cool"

The 77/22 is an excellent gun but I have to agree that it may well be beyond budget and it no longer comes with iron sights. In fact almost no American bolt actions of any caliber come with iron sights anymore. If they are UK legal and available you might consider a lever action.

No 1st hand experience with the CZ 452 LUX but if my CZ pistol is any indication it is excellent.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Another vote for the CZ 452 lux. I've had mine for 17 years now and it would probably be the last gun I would get rid of. I also have the CZ 527 Carbine in .223. Another stellar rifle.

I have several 10/22s. No problems at all.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have virtually the identical model made by Brno (a model 4 I think) - bought second hand with a scope and a moderator for the princely sum of £115!

And like many others have said - its a definate keeper!

Ogri the trog

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've got a CZ452 American with the shortened barrel. Very pleased with it. The American stock is optimised for a scope, which is a plus. On the downside, you don't get the excellent iron sights.

Used .22LR rifles don't cost much - I could have had a used BRNO model for about £120. It is virtually the same as the CZ452, though actually seems slightly better made (made the old fashioned way rather than by CNC machining). However it had the standard long barrel, and when you add 4" for the sound moderator the length becomes a bit unwieldy. You can get the barrel shortened and screw cut for a moderator but I think it would then need re-proofing if you ever sell it. Weighing everything up I thought I'd go for a new rifle already shortened.

A friend has the Sako Finnfire .22 and it is very pretty and feels like a fullbore rifle. No more accurate than the CZ. Anschutz are also a popular choice but I feel you are paying a lot extra for looks and the Made in Germany cachet.

For what it's worth, all the professional keepers I know use a CZ or BRNO.

Last edited:

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Another thumbs up for the cz - the heavy 'varmint' barrel is a good choice for pest control and general shooting, as accurate as you need in a rimfire IMHO. If you're feeling a bit more flash with your cash look at an Anschultz 1517 or a Sako Quad

Last edited:

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
CZ is the way to go.

The Ruger 10/22 looks great, but this is my first gun and hopefully a bolt-action will make me consider my shots a bit more.

If I decide to replace the trigger on the CZ, is the 'Timney' (US) trigger worth getting?

Thanks everyone. Now I need to start looking at picking up a bargain gun-safe.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've got a CZ452 American with the shortened barrel. Very pleased with it. The American stock is optimised for a scope, which is a plus. On the downside, you don't get the excellent iron sights.

Used .22LR rifles don't cost much - I could have had a used BRNO model for about £120. It is virtually the same as the CZ452, though actually seems slightly better made (made the old fashioned way rather than by CNC machining). However it had the standard long barrel, and when you add 4" for the sound moderator the length becomes a bit unwieldy. You can get the barrel shortened and screw cut for a moderator but I think it would then need re-proofing if you ever sell it. Weighing everything up I thought I'd go for a new rifle already shortened.

A friend has the Sako Finnfire .22 and it is very pretty and feels like a fullbore rifle. No more accurate than the CZ. Anschutz are also a popular choice but I feel you are paying a lot extra for looks and the Made in Germany cachet.

For what it's worth, all the professional keepers I know use a CZ or BRNO.

Back when the surplus BRNO 22s were flooding the market here, they were a great bargain. Beautiful rifles. Unfortunately I was a starving grad student with zero disposable income. When I finally did get some cash, the availability of the BRNO 22s had dried up. I had to import the CZ 452 through a dealer as they were not readily available at the time. I love the looks of those old surplus BRNOs though. Deep bluing. Solid feel.

A CZ American is on my list. I want one in 22 mag. I believe they did a redesign on the 452 recently, the 452 being replaced by the 455.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would be hard pressed to find any argument against a bolt action. I think you will be happy with one indeed. My 1st 22 was a single shot bolt action. I think my Dad paid $14 for it brand new. I've gone through many guns since then but I still have that one 45 years later and still use it to squirrel hunt. I've added a scope since then and in turn removed said scope to use that rifle to teach my 9 year old Godson to shoot before he moves on to repeaters. Hopefully one day he will use it to teach his grandkids.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE