My favourite fruit.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love a gooseberry, and adore the early rhubarb, strawberries are great. But the very very best?

The glorious raspberry

Raspberry Harvest by British Red, on Flickr

Picked 32 pounds today in blazing sun from a place we are friendly with who do us a deal (but they charge under £1 a pound to anyone).

A few years back I made one demijohn of raspberry wine that was incredible. Its great but needs four pounds of fruit per demijohn. I reckon I may venture two demijohns this year!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I do love raspberries, one of my favourites! We have a few wild one round here prime for munching on the move, I did the same with bilberries on a walk yesterday and they're another favourite as well! :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely fruit :D and a favourite of mine too.
I have a mix of canes so that the rasps fruit from early June right through until November. The Autumn fruiting ones don't crop so heavily, but there is always a good couple of handfuls from my small patch every day.

Raspberry syrup is a lovely treat for desert....poached peaches or pears, drizzled with black chocolate and raspberry syrup....though I confess that raspberries are the favoured fruit for cranachan in this house. That's not a posh pudding; just whipped cream, some fruit, drizzle of syrup maybe, and topped with toasted oats.

Looks a nice haul there BR. I like raspberry jam, but I usually make jelly for everyone else; no pips to stick in teeth.

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Haggis

Nomad
Great of photo, and I agree raspberries are perhaps the best fruit.

Our homestead, Wolf Cairn Moor, is having a bumper crop of wild blueberries and wild raspberries this year. We've been out every day picking berries until the heat and my sloth drive us from the patches. As the season is quite short it's pick the blueberries first for us, but raspberries will be ripening for several weeks to come.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My favourite too.

the market was selling some outlandish thing called a Beekerberry, a cross between a raspberry and a strawberry....think of like those alpine strawberries.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I can honestly say raspberries have never been high on my list... I don't know why.

Blackberries or Cherries though. :)

Andy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm with you Red,Raspberries are the Top Trumps of the fruit world. Closely followed by grozets and currants (black, red & white). That's quite a haul you have there and some serious culinary joy will be had with them no doubt.The wild ones 'round here are still in full swing with their periodic ripening going great for me as even the nearest patch is enough to fill my tum every day at the moment. And the variance of textures and flavours from the firm tart newly ripened to the almost purple yielding sweet jammy tasting ones that are almost over-ripe. There's the joy of picking them too, as you always see more from another angle, and some hidden away in the curl of a leaf. You could always tell the experienced pickers at the "berries" as they'd be moving their heads like a raptor locked on and always rework a driel in the opposite direction on the way back down to the tractor for weigh in.Have fun and the wine sounds nice, the local winery Cairn O' Mohr does some lovely fruit and leaf based wines and are a great bunch who just started out making home wines for fun, their annual bottle smash party is well known for it's merry fun.
Tengu that beckerberry sounds odd and why taint a lovely raspberry with a usually disappointing strawberry?
Cheers for posting,
GB.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have a nice patch of strawberries and rasps in my front garden [pity I'm moving soon] I've no idea on the variety but strawberries from the shops aren't a patch on the ones from the garden. The rasps tend to fall apart too easily [maybe it's the variety of them?] and end up just being a bunch of small balls in a tub.

Unfortunatley eveyone else in the house tends to devour the ripe ones before I get a look in:(.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We grow our own Raspberries but there are also wild Raspberries in our local hedges.
This year the wild ones have a huge crop ... usually there is only enough for a passing taster but we have picked several pounds this year!
Raspbery Vodka (made as for Sloe Gin)is fantastic stuff too :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
We grow our own Raspberries but there are also wild Raspberries in our local hedges.
This year the wild ones have a huge crop ... usually there is only enough for a passing taster but we have picked several pounds this year!
Raspbery Vodka (made as for Sloe Gin)is fantastic stuff too :)
Same for Raspberry whisky, food of the gods.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Raspberries are great. There are loads of wild ones here, and we have been having fun with them. Syrup, crumbles, icecreams and of course jams. A wine sounds good too!

DSCF2658.JPG

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
eda6usut.jpg

Half a lb of fresh picke blackberries made this jam (bits free). My daughter is having it on toast right now.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE