My December weekend in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I try and get into the woods every moth for at least 2 nights and for December it was last weekend.
Dodging offers of work , I got to the woods early Friday morning and got the group tarp up and my shelter and bed secured before the first of the rest of the guys arrived. The fire was lit - with difficulty as the wood was all soaking - and eventually a brew was had. Another of the weekend team pitched up and as neither of them had been to the site before . I gave them the grand tour :)
I let the guts borrow some of my kit for extra comfort :)
The day was not too bad but the night was wet and cold so an early night was had by all.
Sat saw us playing with various skills - I built a tripod stool using a seat (a souvenir of Mexico) that I acquired at our local recycling centre during the week (the guardian of the tip is now going to save bit of leather in good nick for me :) ) and I started a wooden spoon. The two others had a look at making bramble cordage. A third attendee arrived but could not stay overnight but stayed for the chat until after dark. One of the other guys became unwell (old issues nothing new) and decided to go home - so only 2 of us were on site for the second wet night...
Sunday dawned wet again and camp was broken down soon after breakfast.
Not the greatest bushcraft experience - but all tree-time is good tree-time!
My pitch

Fire

Bishops pitch

Stool

Bryns pitch

Debris shelter and group shelter

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Had a great time despite the inclement weather and full on respect has to go out to Bryn for his determination.
clynfyw-december-2014.jpg

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Bramble cordage was a challange that I'll be coming back to and this site sure has a lot of it to play with. Horrible to work with but has a lot of promise for bigger tasks where a withy just isn't going to be long or strong enough.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice camp, thanks for posting. I like that stool. Hopefully well get some nice frosty ground soon. I was reading were gonna have the fiercest winter in 50 years in one of the tabloids?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice camp, thanks for posting. I like that stool. Hopefully well get some nice frosty ground soon. I was reading were gonna have the fiercest winter in 50 years in one of the tabloids?
Yeah - I read that... there was going to be deep snow from mid November.... and I read the same last year too....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE