My Daughter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Just been to the hospital. The doctors are now trying to decide between pneumonia and appendicitis. Lauren is still just as bad as she was when we took her and still has billious vomiting so we're both worried although we have to hide it from her. It's hitting Natty hard as she has to be there and pretend its nothing more serious than a sore throat in case Lauren gets panicy.

She looks so listless and enervated. She had to go loo after she'd been sick again and that small effort knocked her out, she was asleep within about 5 mins. She's on the drip now and is getting fluids and antibiotics from that. Its definitely a bacterial infection and appears to be on her lungs a little too but they still can't say for sure what exactly is wrong.

I'm worried sick and Natty is starting to get panicy. :(

Any thoughts, prayers, healing energies you can send will be greatly appreciated.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Indeed, prayers are being said for you and yours. Stick with it mate. I've got 3 kids 8, 6 and 2 one of them had a rough time and it's hard to go through, have faith though. We've got a good medial service and lots of people behind you.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Sorry to here about this, best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm sure she'll be back on her feet in no time. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shepherd hear me
Bless this little lamb tonight
Through the darkness
Be thou near her
Keep her safe till morning's light.

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
One thing I have to say, I've only been a dad for 2 years, met Natty when Lauren was 7. I thought I knew what love was. I love my lady, I love our kids. Funny old thing, love. It's like a river. You never know how deep or how fierce it runs until you are in the current and committed.

I think I understand a little about love now. It's a terrible, painful thing. It's what makes living worth doing. It is more powerful than anything science can create and as unique as every individual snowflake. It can bring the greatest joy and the deepest sorrow. Like the very air around us, it is neccessary for us to survive.

Think about who you love as you read that. Think of your greatest joy, your greatest sorrow. Now go show them how much they mean to you!

Just to reassure, I'm sure Lauren will be fine in the end, but by the Gods, this is a wakeup call as to what is important in life eh?

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Grimnir said:
One thing I have to say, I've only been a dad for 2 years, met Natty when Lauren was 7. I thought I knew what love was. I love my lady, I love our kids. Funny old thing, love. It's like a river. You never know how deep or how fierce it runs until you are in the current and committed.

I think I understand a little about love now. It's a terrible, painful thing. It's what makes living worth doing. It is more powerful than anything science can create and as unique as every individual snowflake. It can bring the greatest joy and the deepest sorrow. Like the very air around us, it is neccessary for us to survive.

Think about who you love as you read that. Think of your greatest joy, your greatest sorrow. Now go show them how much they mean to you!

Just to reassure, I'm sure Lauren will be fine in the end, but by the Gods, this is a wakeup call as to what is important in life eh?

I had such a wake up call when my son came to me showing me that he had blood in his toilet. I thought ok it will be light blood and that can happend. But it was old and dark red blood. It was like icewater running down my spine. I felt naked in this world. All me being stressed up pushing my families with my bushcraft needs, being upset that I dont have enough time for myself etc etc.
felt terrible in my memory. I hated myself for it and hated Bushcraft blaming it somehow. I was near on quitting. Strange how the same person can see reality in different ways. Its like seeing reality through different coloured sunglasses.
Is the grass red or is it blue or is it green.

I went on the internet and all I found was stomach cancer. I was sure he was dying. In the end it turned out alright but I had some terrible days.
I promised myself to be a better father, giving more time and my ears to the stuff he wants from me.

Now it has been a while and I start to sleep again, the schock which woke me up is getting dim and I am trapped in my needs again. He is telling me about the new computer game and I say: Him hmmm ok, fine. But I am not listening, I am not there. Then I remember that horrible night and wake up again for a short moment, concentrate and listen.

And tomorrow guys, I am going to paint some Lord of the Rings figures with him.

all the best to you mate
Abbe

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Well we've finally had a diagnosis now - mesenteric adenitis.

http://www.emedicine.com/radio/topic444.htm
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/menshealth/206004.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesenteric_adenitis

From what Natty said, she's been seen by every doctor and surgeon in the hospital now! :D They've been testing everything they can think of and have decided it's unlikely to be pneumonia but she's getting full antibiotics anyhow, appendicitis is also unlikely but they are keeping an eye on that.

She's going in for an ultrasound scan shortly.

Clinical Details: Mesenteric adenitis is a self-limited condition characterized by fever, abdominal pain, nausea, and, occasionally, diarrhea. Pain and tenderness are often centered in the right lower quadrant, but they may be more diffuse than in appendicitis. The site of tenderness may shift when the patient's position changes, whereas the location of the tenderness tends to be fixed with appendicitis. Leukocytosis is common.

The diagnosis of mesenteric adenitis is one of exclusion; confirmation is based on a benign clinical course, and management is conservative.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
janiepopps said:
At least you know what you're dealing with now, hope she perks up quickly.

j

my thoughts exactly lets hope now the docs know what they are dealing with the treatment is swift, effective and gets the little one back on her feet to enjoy the rest of the summer

Grim i got home last night and my little boy Jack (16 months old ) was asleep in his cot i must have stood by his bed for half an hour just looking at him and thinking how much i loved him and that i would do anything to keep him safe when my wife popped her head round the door and asked what was wrong I told her your story and the way i was feeling about what i had read in this thread love is a mighty powerful thing like you said and you can never judge its force until it hits you
grim take care and give you good lady a big squeeze from us we are all thinking of you and hoping for the best

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
thats great news mate!

90% of the cure is working out what the illness is

still thinking of you and yours! ;) hold in there buddy, things are looking up! :)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I've come home in tears from hospital a few times.My three are all now grown and healthy with kids of their own.

The trouble is you never stop worrying about them. :rolleyes:

As Abbe rightly pointed out,we all too soon forget how much our loved ones mean to us once the crisis is over.Grimner's post is a reminder to us all.

Grimner,you will be surprised how quickly she bounces back once the treatment kicks in. :)

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Right, she's had the ultrasound scan, which showed absolutely nothing out of the ordinary lol. Unfortunately this doesn't rule out either appendicitis or mesenteric adenitis. Half the docs think its one and the other half the other right now. The surgeon still thinks its not appendicitis. At the moment they are monitoring it and keeping very close watch for trouble with the appendix but mesenteric adenitis mimics the symptoms of appendicitis quite closely as its the same area and they don't want to open her up unless they need to.

From the way things are going she'll be on first name terms with every paediatrician and surgeon within 50 miles soon :D

She's stable right now anyway, just the temp still going up and down. The antibiotics should be starting to work soon so hopefully that will sort itself out then.

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
BorderReiver said:
As Abbe rightly pointed out,we all too soon forget how much our loved ones mean to us once the crisis is over.
Oh, I've no doubt I'll be back to saying "Turn that tv down / Eat up, you've hardly touched that / this room's a pigsty, clean it up!" and other common parental phrases soon :D and it will be a relief to be able to as well :)

jdlenton said:
i got home last night and my little boy Jack (16 months old ) was asleep in his cot i must have stood by his bed for half an hour just looking at him and thinking how much i loved him and that i would do anything to keep him safe
Wish I'd been here for those early years :) treasure them well!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I don't have children of my own, and live alone, but am (currently unofficial, but this will change) godfather to my best friends' 4 &5 year-olds that they adopted last year.

When I first visited them last summer it was my first real experience of children that age and it was a shock. When it came to say goodbye, and they hugged me... (I'm actually welling up whilst typing this) I was overwhelmed by a flood of the sort of emotion I hadn't felt since first seeing my oldest nephew as a baby 20 years ago. There's a photo I was given as a christmas present of them beside me as I type.

Whilst the chances are I'll probably never know the full power of what you are saying, I think I have a glimpse - and I hope I'm a better person for it.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Mine are two (last Saturday) and almost 11 months. I really don't mind the calls of 'part timer' as I rush out of the door at work each evening to eat with them. It's very special to share any time with them, quite often as they are playing/reading/watching TV I watch them. Sometimes they turn to look at me and smile. It's as if the sun has just come out for the first time in years.

When Megan was ill when she was about three months, she screamed for 4 days. The health worker turned up and said, Hmmm, yes it's.... we'll do this and this and she'll be fine. That was enough, it was something specific and it could be fixed. 99% of the problem solved.

It sounds awful what you are going through Grim, but just wait and that sentence will be an amazing relief for you and Nat both. I wish you all the best, and I hope you enjoy a brilliant summer holiday with the little one after this.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE